upper GI please help me with this..............

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doxygirl, Mar 19, 2007.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

My Dr is ordering an upper GI ......I know that some of you have had this done and I need to know what to expect....Iam very closterphobic and so it concerns me I will be able to endure this procedure.........

Please let me truthfully know what is going to happen!

Thank you so much

Doxy
  2. luckysue

luckysue New Member

You should be put to sleep so you won't feel anything. I'll pray for you. I am getting an Upper & lower done for the second time in a few weeks.
    Suzanne
  3. lbuchanan3

lbuchanan3 New Member

I was not put to sleep for the upper GI, I think they only do this if you are having a lower one. Anyway they did drug me out pretty well, had me swollow a tube down my throat and because they had me totally relaxed by the drugs I hardly noticed I was doing it. Just a slight gag.

The nurses held my hands and told me to squeeze if I felt the slightest discomfort which I did a couple of times. It only took a few minutes in my case and the doctor even did a procedure to stretch a part of my esophagus that was a bit constricted.

I was mildly uncomfortable for a few days, a little like I had bad heartburn that had left an acid burn if you know what I mean, but nothing severe. And I have been very happy being able to swallow food again. Before I had it done I was choking on food about 3 times a week or more, since I had it done I have only had about two episodes of food getting lodged in my esophagus in the past two years.

I have actually had more discomfort laying still to get an MRI than having this test-honestly!

Hope this helps,

Linda B
  4. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

first off--sorry about your ordeal @ doctors, we should have fibro voo doo dolls for people like that!
    Now--an upper GI (UGI):
    unless it has changed since i've been off work, there is not a tube or anything, you simply drink a large "milkshake"type thing and they x-ray you while you are drinking, and it shows any abnormalities of the throat and swallowing mech. Not a big deal, if you like flavored chalk, just be sure to take a laxative after or that stuff can thicken up pretty good in there.
    Good Luck--L
  5. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i was sedated and the only thing i remember is gaging when they took out the tube good luck charlene
  6. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

You are completly asleep when you have the endoscopy?

My Dr said " upperGI" so if I understand correctly I just drink some nasty chalky stuff and they take pictures right?

The scope thing scares me to pieces...........I hope if I have to have that test they do put me completly out!

Thanks for your responses

Hugs
    Doxy
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

The endoscopy is where your put to sleep or very sedated.
    But not for the upper GI. The upper GI is just like Wake said. The stuff tastes like chalky crap.(but its bearable)
    and they take pics. of it going down your throat into your whatever or where ever it goes?? lol
    Its not bad. We've surely been thru worse!

The endoscopy,...? thats another story.

I've had both done over the yrs.

you'll do fine :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
  8. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi doxy--
    don't worry, the endo would only be done if there was something they couldn't see by the x-ray, although the "scope" process is a real money maker these days.

since doc said "UGI" this is generally the first place to start. If by chance you needed to have a more invasive test done later chances are very good that you would be given enough versed, etc. that you would never remember anything but closing your eyes and waking up in recovery room--this is one of those things that you can handle, so much easier than the hell we live everyday, and you are a strong person, i think we all are. Don't sweat it!

the scopes are so common (both ends!) that they have it perfected in their out patient clinics to an almost pleasant experience, because you probably won't remember ANYTHING unpleasant.

also, done in a big room, not a little "hole" like an MRI or CT, so take care and relax--L
  9. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

An upper GI is done with the nasty tasting liquid. They do not use a tube. The doctor x-rays you while the liquid goes down.

The endoscope is where the tube is used.

You will do fine!

God Bless,
    Bob
  10. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I know Ido need to relax.................but I do have one more question.............if they do find that they need to do an endoscopy do they use an iv sedation?

Thanks again for all the warm and helpful posts

Hugs
    Doxy
  11. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Just close your eyes and think happy thoughts hun ... and before you know it ,,, it will be all over.
    ((((( hugs ))))) I am going in for the colonoscopy soon. I will probably have to go in for an upper too. I have pain in my side. I figure if it was cancer i would be dead by now (going on for years). My biggest worry is about have an accident in the car or all over the place when I get there. BUT I am sure they are used to it. My Dad will probably be mad if i have an accident in his car though ... I will take a BIG garbage bag to sit on/in just in case. WIth a colonoscopy you do need a driver.

It will be ok Hun (((( calm down ))))
  12. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I've had the endoscopy done and while they told me I wouldn't be knocked out, it's what they call "conscious sedation" but....it felt like I was completely out to me!
    I didn't wake up at all until they were removing the scope.

What you all describe as an upper GI sounds like the test I had done called a "barium swallow". I had that before I was diagnosed with diffuse esophogeal spasms. Is that the same as an upper GI?

If so what I drank was no where near as nasty as the stuff I drank for my colonoscopy.