Upper/mid back pain/ between shoulder blades

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Aug 31, 2005.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi all!!
    Don't take me for excited by that exclamation point!
    lol

Just wanting to ask if many of us suffer from this one??

and (stupid question) Does anything help?

I've had episodes of this flare up before,.. but this time its really painful and hard to ignore.
    My whole upper shoulder area,... and if I kinda arch my back inward (as to touch blades) Its soooooooo sore in the middle~ :(
    Its raining very heavy here. I wonder if its the weather?

any replys are apreciated.
    Hugs
    Tandy
    (the icon is me feeling this pain)
    scared to move!

2. ckk

ckk New Member

hello there!!!!!!!!! yes, i get that pain alllllll the time. as a matter of fact, that is the pain that i fight with the most. i get a lot of burning with it too. the pain is soooo bad that nothing helps. so, sorry i cant help, i mean i take my meds, but i think i take them just to make myself try to feel better. take care. sorry i cant help you.
    ckk
  3. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

Family Dr. wasn't sure how to help it, so I went to my Rheumy, and she did the following...
    gave me a "spray" of cortisone/lidocane shots in between my shoulders I'm not sure how many places she injected, but I'd say 10... not much in each place though. Didn't hurt at all... just little pin pricks.
    Put me on high dose of Topamax - I used to take 100, was taking none. She has me taking 250 now. This has helped me all over.
    Went from 2-3 Flexerils at night to 4-5.
    Told me to take up to 8 Ultam a day as needed.
    Lots of moist heat. I use a rice bag I made.
    Liberal use of the over the counter menthol pain patches.
    She had me rent (will be buying) a TENS unit - 3 weeks of using this several times a day has it ALL BETTER! I'm looking into buying one.
    Started me into physical therapy - but they decided to do their own thing which turned into a nightmare, but that's another subject. The TENS unit had me almost 100% before I even started the therapy.
    Also did lots of hot showers with the shower massager.

Also, look on the web for "forward head" and see if this might be part of the problem. I know it is with me! When everything settles down, I'm going to start doing some mild stretches and see if I can get better posture while I work to prevent some of the tension in those muscles.
  4. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

this is one of my prime target area as well. Plus my neck, and throat and upper chest area. Guess it doesn't help that I am a hairstylist(very part-time) and my arms are up! I use a LOT of rubs and moist heat. I just order a 32oz bottle of Biofreeeze for an excellent price, can't wait for it to come. Tried 024, worked ok, just very pricey for the tiny bit you get, doesn't last long! I'm taking T'3s for pain, but it isn't helping diddly. I don't know what to ask my doc for. In Canada they don't offer much.
    I just order FM Relief, and it has some 5-HTP in it, so you have to be careful with other meds. So I don't know what I could take that would'nt interfer.
    Stretching and massage help too. Except if your massage therapist goes a bit overboard like mine just did. Now I am tighter than I have been in a LONG time, and hardly know where to leave myself!
    Hope you feel better soon!
    Raz
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I live with it. So, I don't know what more to say. i use heat, pain relievers, and muscle relaxers. I have to constantly think where my shoulders are...and they are usually up around my neck! AAGH.

Hope it ends soon. Sorry for your pain.

Sue
  6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I don't have FM, just 'regular' behind the shoulder blade pain. I am sitting here with my Bed Buddy draped over my right shoulder and hanging down behind my right shoulder blade. Pretty soon, I will reheat it and put it on the left side. Earlier I had an end over each sholder with the 'middle' lying between my shoulder blades.

Eventually, it will make it up to my neck. Think maybe I like it?
  7. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I posted something similar to your post a few weeks ago - I have the same agonizing pain, but always develop a migraine when those areas flare. Any migraine pain with you?

I find that heat can induce the pain (especially in the shower) then the headache develops. I like to use ice - it just seems to feel better. I wrap an ice block in a towel and keep it there until I feel a bit better. I also use Excedrin or Midrin for the migraine - sometimes it works, sometimes not!

Jennifer
    [This Message was Edited on 08/31/2005]
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

Its annoying thats for sure!
    but what part of having Fibro is'nt annoying?
    seems to be taking over more and more body parts.
    Mine has progressed so much over the yrs.
    How does one "halt' this DD?
    I know its here to stay,...but geeeeeez can we lessen this crap a bit!!! or keep it from getting worse?

Fat chance!
    I have been using moist heat,...
    over and over all day/night~ It does help.
    Sometimes I get a Migraine with this also.
    I had one one time show up on a tuesday,..and never leave till friday!! Talk about unwelcome guests!lol
    I take a med called Fioricet for my headaches. That helps too,...most of the time.
    Sometimes I feel a almost PULLING sensation there too??
    My posture could be making it worse.
    I try to work on that but ,..... I slip up alot.
    Thanks you guys!
    I'm not alone and that helps~
    Hugs
    Tandy
  9. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Aside from FMS pain, how are you? Yes, I get pain there. In fact the pain in my upper back, shoulders and neck is my worst area. It is constant. Some days it's not as bad, but it's been so long that I can't remember what it's like not to have pain in this area anymore. For me, ice packs help numb the area and give me some relief. Sometimes I put a heating pad on this area, but ice helps me the most.

My FMS doctor says the pain in this area is the hardest to treat. Like you, FMS is invading more and more of my body. Years ago, it started out in my lower legs and left knee and now most of my body hurts. I can only think of a couple places I am free of pain-my ears and part of my face! I'm on morphine now (low dose for now), but it isn't touching this pain. I see the doctor again soon and will need to tell him that my morphine needs to be increased.

Ellen
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

Its good to hear from you again!! I have'nt heard much of you around here. I knew you were gonna be offline for the summer~ I hope you got to enjoy some of the good weather?
    MY endo,...(or what we think is Endo again) Is really horrible again. I have bad pelvic pain all the time but way worse after intercourse. My bladder kills me! I'm having alot of colon/bowel troubles~ etc,....
    stomach pains.
    I'm getting things checked out right now with the gyno.
    Had my bloodwork done last week and a ultasound,which then turned into a trans-vaginal ultrasound.
    They do see a ovarian cyst covering half of my right ovary.
    I'm wondering if I have adhesions and other endo growths to cause all this pain. But the ultrasound did'nt see much else besides the cyst.???
    I have to see the doc. about another Lap. (most likely)
    in 2 weeks. I'm just taking one day at a time~

I'm just angered because I have so lil pain meds to help me. I'll never understand how docs. can think that Motrin or Ultrams will take away this pain??
    It does'nt help much.
    I need heavy duty!! I wish I did'nt but I do.

Write me back if you get a minute~ Wanna know how everything is going with you!!
    Hugs
    Tandy
  11. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I do go to a chiropractor and she "snaps" that section of my vertibrae, she calls it the bra line. I also do Ai Chi, which is gentle stretching that helps.

Also, there is a stretch specifically for this region, let me try to explain it - you often see runners doing this.

Put one arm in the air - elbow bent, push down on the elbow with the other hand as far as you can (gently). When I first started doing this, I had to do it in front of my head. I can now do it behind my head - that's how much flexibility I have gained just from that stretch.
    Give it a try