UPSET!! Call from Insurance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bitter-sweet, Jul 18, 2003.

1. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

Since I was involved in a car accident(which triggered my FMS), a caseworker at my insurance carrier calls for updates periodically. Today I started to tell her about what I had done medically since she last called. I started to tell her that I was diagnosed with IBS which frequently accompanies FMS. She hastily jumped in and told me that she has IBS and she doesn't have FMS so she "doubts that". I said firmly: "If you're going to feel that way about it I will tell you no further information". She shut up and later apologized. I went on to tell her that I am having problems moving my bowels related to my back injury. She turned all nice and asked me a bunch of insignificant questions, and she encouraged me to call anytime blah..blah...blah. If I really said what I wanted to I wouldn't be able to print it here!! Plus, I didn't want to stoop to her level. I do plan on sending her LOTS of information, so I hope she has reading time. Thanks for listening...just had to vent.
  2. Seagull

Seagull New Member

I would tape record all your phone conversations with the caseworker as well. And, the next time she makes an unqualified medical observation, I would ask her if she is a licensed MD and force her to have to say "no". You can bet she makes note of her condition in her notes on your case as a comparison for the adjuster.

Get a lawyer as quick as you can. :)

seagull
  3. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

I don't trust the insurance and never have, but I do know she has all the reports. She admitted that much. My doctors are behind me, and I already have a lawyer. I also write everything down (calls, signs/symptoms, etc.)and make copies of everything I send out. I had to give a deposition and my lawyer wrote: "She (meaning me) makes an excellent impression as a witness." I have learned so much about the system. It's pathetic!
  4. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I don't blame you for being annoyed at the caseworker, she was waaaay out of line with her comment. I would also encourage you to be very careful with whatever you say to the insurance company. I worked at one of the major insurance companies years ago (when I was actually able to work). I was astonished at the things the case workers and insurance reps wrote in the files. Almost all of it was tips to each other on how to get out of paying. They're in in to make money, period! None of them would win the humanitarian of the year award, believe me. Hope this all makes sense; I'm in a major brain fog right now.
    Love and blessings
    Mar
  5. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

Thanks for the insight. Isn't it amazing how dishonest some people are? Don't they have any morals? I just don't get it. Blessings and love to you too.