Urethral Syndrom from FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosie, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Rosie

Rosie New Member

Hi,
    I'm having horrible bladder spasms and saw my Urologist yesterday. He isn't sure what to think and is running the standard test...the UA came back normal....my husband was working with someone today that also has FM and she said that she has Urethral Syndrom from the FM...it sure sounds like what I've got. I've been discouraged all day because I thought that it was from my MS. It never occured to me that it could be the FM. Does anyone else have this?
    Take care,
    Rosie
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

So sorry your having more problems to figure out~
    This might not help much but... I read this and I have FM(have had it 11yrs too long!)and I have these times where my bladder is sooooo tender and sore~ and i have to pee all the time....3 times a hr!!But everytime i've been checked my urine shows no bacteria present!so i'm never treated for my symptoms~ Mostly the episodes last anywhere from a few days to weeks.Then i'll be fine,untill next time! I have had trace blood found before but had a scope done,and all that was said was.....the lining of your bladder is irritated.(Thats it!then i'm sent home!)this symptom drives me crazy because I don't know the cause of it at all!! hope you find relief,and answers~ I had'nt heard of this urethral syndrome before.I hope I can find some more info on this by doing a google search???any thoughts anyone?anybody with more info on this condition?
    Hope your feeling better Rosie~
    ((hugs)),
    Tracey
  3. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I always have traces of blood in my urine tests. I often have severe bladder infection symptoms that don't go away with antibiotics. I have read that intercystial cystitis causes tiny pinprick holes in the bladder walls that often can't be seen during a scope test. I had a flare up of this about 10 years ago - months of severe pain, I could hardly walk. I never want to go thru that again! My symptoms are bad the week before my period too.
  4. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

Hi Rosie,

I get them too. It seems every spring the sypmtoms flare up, bladder spasms, pain, frequency, burning all with no infection present, just sometimes a little spot of blood in the culture.

I saw a good urologist last summer and he did blood work, ultra sounds, and other tests and everything was fine.
    He said that since fibromyalgia affects muscles, being that the bladder is nothing more than a muscle, that could be causing the spasms.

I also had hysterectomy and bladder repair 7 years ago my bladder didn't work for 6 weeks, had an infection the whole time and it's never been the same. Of course that's what triggered my fibro, so I'm not sure which came first.

I tried Ditrophan for the spasms and it helped but I got itchy welts on my legs from it so I stopped taking it. It might be worth your checking into.

Hope this helps, good luck, I know how painful those spasms can be.

Margie
  5. Rosie

Rosie New Member

Thanks for the infomation....I'm relieved to know that I'm not alone...I was beginning to worry when no one responded at the MS website. I never even considered that it might be FM. With the MS, I usualy cath myself before bed. I have stopped. I want to see if that will settle things down a bit.
    Take care and thanks,
    Rosie
  6. Rosie

Rosie New Member

Hi Tracy,
    A lot of stuff did turn up when I did the google search. If you have a problem getting to the information, just let me know and I can send the web-site informaion to you. Unfortunatly there isn't an easy answere or pill that will help. Thanks for letting me know, I don't feel so alone with this darn problem.
    Take care,
    Rosie
  7. Rosie

Rosie New Member

Hi,
    They are going up and taking a look, the first week in July. I'm trying to take it easy...I hope that it will help.
    Take care and thanks,
    Rosie