URGENT - Are you Anemic?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jigglinjello, Sep 18, 2002.

1. jigglinjello

jigglinjello New Member

I was anemic for years and the only thing the doc would do for me was prescribe iron shots. I had heard about Procrit that is given to chemotherapy patients when they get anemic. I looked it up and it says that it is for anemia, yet all the doctors I begged to give it to me said it was only for cancer patients. I spent two years trying to find a doctor to give it to me. Finally last spring my pain doctor gave in and gave me weekly shots for 6 weeks.

FINALLY for the first time in 2 years I have normal blood counts. And since he has seen the dramatic results he has promised to treat me with it again if my levels drop.

I have done as much research as I can on Procrit and I don't see why I was given so much hassle over it. The paperwork says it is for anemia, it doesn't say that it is only for cancer patients. That is just what it got approval for. Many medicines are used for purposes other than their original prescribed use.

Please ask your doctor to give you a 6 week round of shots. It will make all the difference in the world. I promise.

JJ
  2. jigglinjello

jigglinjello New Member

I was anemic for years and the only thing the doc would do for me was prescribe iron shots. I had heard about Procrit that is given to chemotherapy patients when they get anemic. I looked it up and it says that it is for anemia, yet all the doctors I begged to give it to me said it was only for cancer patients. I spent two years trying to find a doctor to give it to me. Finally last spring my pain doctor gave in and gave me weekly shots for 6 weeks.

FINALLY for the first time in 2 years I have normal blood counts. And since he has seen the dramatic results he has promised to treat me with it again if my levels drop.

I have done as much research as I can on Procrit and I don't see why I was given so much hassle over it. The paperwork says it is for anemia, it doesn't say that it is only for cancer patients. That is just what it got approval for. Many medicines are used for purposes other than their original prescribed use.

Please ask your doctor to give you a 6 week round of shots. It will make all the difference in the world. I promise.

JJ
  3. PAT

PAT New Member

Thank you for the info! My anemia is controlled well with daily iron pills, but my poor Mother-in-law cannot control hers.She takes so much iron orally and shots all of the time. Procrit sounds like the way to go!Patti G
  4. clprez

clprez New Member

I just wanted to add that many doctors don't like to prescribe a drug for something other than that purpose that the FDA has approved.

Procrit has not yet been approved for use in general anemia. If the possible side effects of the drug are minimal, some doctors will take the chance, because they are willing to take that extra, logical step.

As we speak, there are clinical trials for use of Procrit with CFIDS, to see if it helps relieve some of the fatigue. Since it hasn't yet been approved for that use, not all doctors are willing to give it a try.

I have one doctor that is very willing to try almost anything that makes sense, and doesn't have horrible adverse reactions, or he'll at least warn me of them so that I'm extra vigilant about watching out for the side effects.

Most of my other doctors will not give me drugs for purposes other than what they are approved for. Sometimes my GP does based on anecdotal evidence from some of her other patients, but that's about it.

Have other people had similar reactions as mine?

Carol
  5. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

I think if they didn't I would start eating beef at every meal before I would take a prescription drug for it, and would save that as a last resort.

Glad you got the relief you needed with it, but I hope there are no side effects that surface later.

Annette