URGENT: Does a hysteroscopy hurt?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fibrotears, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Fibrotears

Fibrotears New Member

As some of you know, Thursday I'm going for an hysteroscopy. And they are going to scrape the thickened endometrium (lining of the uterus) away.

Does that hurt? (Scraping the endometrium away)

Please give some info so that I can prepare myself emotionally?!!

Fibrotears, feeling like fibro-gitters!!
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

When I had this done, I had it done right in the gyne's office and all he did was local on cervix area and even with that it just felt a bit like period pains.

These days, they will give you vesaid I am certain so it should be painless.

Love Anne Cromwell
  3. Fibrotears

Fibrotears New Member

I'm concerned about pain after the procedure when I'm not sedated!!
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i had my lining all scraped and lasered out...it was outpatient...surgery...it she has heck felt better than the polys bing in my uterus...

jodie
  5. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

I had one done and it was not painful. There was no scaping done accept for maybe a sample. I later had a D&c which I was put to sleep for.
    good luck
    ruby
  6. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

If they are scraping or cleaning your uterus out then you may have cramps after for a few hours or a few days.
    I had a D&C that gave me cramps for a few hours after and I think I bled for a few days, like a period.
    I had a total hyst at 29.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/11/2006]
  7. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I thought scraping of the uterous was a D & C, partial hysterectomy is when they remove the uterous, and a complete hysterectomy is when they remove the uterous and both ovaries.

Based on the above, I had a partial hysterectomy in 1993. I had an epidural because I didn't want to be put to sleep. The operation lasted an hour and once the meds wore off, I took morphine by IV and then toridol by shot. Since I wasn't put to sleep I was able to go home earlier. I checked in at 2:00 p.m. on a Thursday, I think, and I went home Friday afternoon.

I didn't have too much pain. I took Tylenol for a couple of days but the heating pad did more than any pill could do.

By Monday I was ready to go back to work, but I had to stay home for 30 days!! I couldn't stand the boredom, and now staying home is all that I do. hmmm
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...I was anesthetized, definitely. Didn't have any problems, even afterward, other than bleeding for a couple of weeks, which was normal. You won't feel any of the scraping part...

Good luck, let us know how it goes, but I wouldn't worry!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

mine was called if i remember correctly laserablatomy...somthing like that..

it is where they take out your uterine lining completely...to prevent anymore shedding of the linning...you can not get pregnant after this procedure...

i had to sign papers...i had to have a hormone shot a month before the surgery to put my body thru temporary menopause...

it slowed down my periods to almost nonexitent...

jodie
  10. mariee

mariee Member

Maybe you should call your doc's office. The nurse can explain the procedure...and tell you if you will have any pain meds...or need any later.
    My surgeon took a biopsy...I nearly passed out.
    Heartless man! Good surgeon.
    Best wishes. Hope you feel better.
    Marie
  11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

..."hysterectomy" and "hysteroscopy". These are completely different procedures.

Fibrotears is having a Hysteroscopy, an outpatient procedure (I would imagine---mine was) where they scrape away the thickened endometrium lining.

A Hysterectomy where they remove organs like the uterus and/or ovaries is a major surgery with a much longer recovery time. Fibrotears is NOT having this...

The words are very similar, so they can be confusing!

Hugs,
    Pam
  12. hanna4175

hanna4175 New Member

3 years ago.. it is some painful afterwards.. you don't get anymore periods.. i have had 8 surgeries due to endometriosis.. and fibroid tumors..though i did not get my period anymore with the hysteroscopy i was still ill because of the tumors.. i ended up having a hysterectomy..and that is major surgerie and very painful afterwards..you will feel some discomfort when you come out of your operation because of the gas they use when you are out.. you may feel uncomfort in your neck and shoulders..and you MUST rest for at least a few days..but everyone is different.. but you will be ok hon..i promise..i will keep you in my thoughts.. don't freak yourself out.. it's going to be ok..

hanna