URGENT my dog has a hematoma in his cheek.....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by doxygirl, Mar 22, 2008.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

and I do not know what to do.....I called the emergency vet and asked some questions and they told me it would be a minimum of 500.00 and that is for starters.....

I cannot afford to pay that much and my vet does not return until mar31....

I need to know all info that you may have on a hematoma.....it seems to go down and seem like it is going away and then it gets bigger..

One of my other dogs ( my dalmation) had an ear hematoma and she ended up having to have surgery on her ears....basically they stitched them in several different places.....

the vet i called said they "may" need to put a stitch in it.....since it is in his mouth ( cheek area I assume he is irritating it and possibly biting it so that makes it get bigger when it is trying to go down?

But iam not a vet....and would really like to know if this is something that could wait until my vet is back in 9 more days or not?

2. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

A hematoma is essentially a pocket of blood under the skin. It's not usually painful. Vets will make a cut to drain the pocket, then stitch it up.

If your dog is eating and acting normal, it can wait for your vet to return. Emergency vets charge a small fortune so I'd avoid that if at all possible.

Your own vet may even have another doctor covering his/her patients while gone, so call the office to see if you can get a referral. If not, you can also just go to another vet during regular business hours and it shouldn't be nearly as expensive as an emergency visit.
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

...it doesn't sound like an emergency as long as the dog is eating and drinking well. It might even resolve itself but regardless it should be OK until your vet returns. I do agree about calling the vet's office to talk to a vet tech, to put your mind at ease.

Sometimes dogs get these hematomas in their mouths from chewing on a hard toy, a rawhide bone or even biting their own cheek, just as a person could.

Let us know how it goes, OK?

Hugs and pets,

4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

vet school used to have a free "ask the vet" phone site. See if they still do.

My renter is doc of pharm at vet school so I will email her and ask her as she also has three dogs. I will write you back if she writes me.

I think it may just heal on its own if it breaks open.

Love Annie (gee where do they get $500 from they should just charge an office visit of $34 to look it over)