URGENT; NEED ADVICE PRIOR TO MY DR VISIT EARLY FRI DAY: PLEASE HE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have been waiting four weeks to see the ear nose and throat doc re my dizziness following labarynthitis in June, thta is still ongoing.

The appt. is tomorrow morning. About ten minutes ago, some chippy person called to say "About your appt. it's not worth you coming as you have dizziness, right?" I said yes, and she said that as there would not be an audiologist there tomorrow I may as well not bother coming.

I cannot for the life of me see why an audiologist would need to run heraing tests because I am dizzy. I had to borrow a car and arrange for babysitting to go to this appt. and refused to cancel as the doctor himself will be there.

Can anyone shed some light on this please, as I fail to see the relevance of a hearing test(I hear great) She said it was to "rule out hearing problems".

I was in tears as I have been counting on this appointment to see if he could help with the dizziness.

Any and all ideas will be welcome and I'll keep bumping too.

Love Anne C
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

it makes no sense that you should just not bother coming. I don't know why you would have to have an audiologist there.

Try not to be too upset (I know, easier said than done)and just go to the appointment tomorrow as scheduled.

You may not get all your answers tomorrow, but it's a starting point.

3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

about your dizziness. I'm sure you know that a lot of meds cause that side effect.

Well I would still go to the doc too. I'm just wondering if your dizziness is neurological? Have you seen a neurologist yet?

I know it is hard to arrange to get a car and babysitter for appointments. I hate to see docs, to be honest with you.

I hope you find some answers to your problem.

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

Anne, I would call the office back immediately and ask to keep your appointment! Tell them you had assumed your appointment was with a doctor, which is why you made the appointment in the first place. Tell them you want to see a doctor, not an audiologist, and you'll be there tomorrow!

(I'm not really as tough as I sound, I'm just trying to give you some encouragement! Actually I'm a big wimp in real life, lol!)

Hope you can see a doctor for the dizziness, that's a bit scary. Good luck!

(((HUGS!)))

Kat

5. yesnettv

yesnettv New Member

Can cause dizziness. Testing by the audiologist finds more things than hearing loss.
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I was wondering too if that was the case that an audiologist can test for inner ear problems. But as they KNEW my appt was for dizziness then why did they leave it till this afternnon to suddenly realise this?

I have told them I am keeping my appt. and that I will just have to go back for the audiology test and as it is their error, then I don't want another office visit charge.

I do not take meds generally, so it is not that. My neuro just refused to let my doctor make a second follow up to see him as he "already saw me 6 months ago" even though my doctor absolutely insists I should be re seen.

Unfortunately the next nearest neuro is a three hour drive away and we cannot count on the roads always being open if the winter turns nasty.

I feel as if the audiologist at the clinic just wanted tomorrow off, maybe I was her only appt. and they decided to disrupt me. If they always do audiology tests, then they have known this for actually 5 weeks now. I will certainly find out why she isn't going to be there. If it is some emergency then I can accept that, but they could have said this, it just seemed as if they were sloughing me off, which makes me uneasy about seeing them. There is another ENT very close to where I live in fact, but they cannot see me until March 25th. What do you think?

anne

7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Talked this other office into seeing me nexy THursday instead. The nurse there was moved by what had happened and found a cancellation for me. She also said it was useless to go and not have the audio, which confirms what was said here, as it is one of the ways to discover inner ear trouble.

I can wait till THursday, I've waited this long for sure. I also hear the man I am seeing is excellent and an added bonus is that he also is a head and neck surgeon too, so better really.

The other office were so unapologetic and off hand with me, I felt nervous about them, plus they had me down for a doctor other than the one I had scheduled. I think God was giving me the lattitude to find someone better!!!

I did call back and tell them, that due to their unprofessional attitude I was no longer comfortable, and would be using some other provider.

Thanks for your help. I was freaking out over this as I need to get back to work and the dizziness on top of the FM is driving me nuts so I cannot work.

If anyone knows what the audiologist does let me know.

Much Love-this board is a godsend for sure.

Anne C
  8. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

Hi Anne,

I've had chronic problems with dizziness for over a year and spent a lot of time researching it and found a couple of excellent on-line groups I learned a lot from. One of them is supported be a vestibular rehab therapist (VRT) and a director of a balance clinic and both have experienced dizziness themselves and are dedicated professionals.

#1 there was just discussion yesterday that he commented on and this is what he said - the strict definition of labrithnitis includes permanent hearing loss and some doctors confuse this dx with vestibular nuronitis (SP?)which doesn't include hearing loss.

There are also many other vestibular disorders that may or may not have a hearing loss and that is why an audiologist does a hearing test first.

A regular ENT usually does not have the extended training to dx dizziness problems only the ears. A neurotologist has the ENT training with an addl 2 years training in the connection between the brain/neurological function of the ears and brain and how it all works together. If you google it there is an American Neurotology Association where you can look up doctors in your state. In the phone book they are generally lumped with the ENT's so you have to ask when you call if they are a neurotologist as well.

There are 2 really good web sites that explain dizziness and vestibular disorders. http://www.vestibular.org/index.php
    http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/index.html

Even some neurotologist aren't all up on current research just like with FMS, so you have to learn what you can and go in prepared with information. The vestibular.org website has a list of doctors that treat those with dizziness problems so if you don't feel this doctor is helping you check the list for another doctor. Doesn't always mean they are good, but they could be. It also list a link to a great on-line support group called dizzinews that you can get lots of questions answered by the 2 experts (Tom and Ann)that work in this field every day. They are both extremely knowledgeable and so are many of the members on the list. The support group was very helpful to me and I went to Tom's clinic and got an accurate dx and treatment for the dizziness.

I hope you get the help and treatment you need for the dizziness. I know it's not fun. While I still struggle with it, knowing what's causing it and having the right medication has lessened the symptoms from what they were a year ago.

Take care,

Jeanette

[This Message was Edited on 02/16/2006]
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Thank you so much. I am sure this will be of great help to me and others here who have dizziness also. I think the doc I see next week actually is a the type you describe, I will check and see.

Love Anne C
  10. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

Hi Ann,

Along with the hearing test the audiologist will do most of the other test to check your dizziness and balance. These are some of the tests. If you want to know more go to the web sites they explain them thoroughly.

There is an ENG test where they put warm and cold water in your ears and it makes you dizzy, so they can see what happens in your eyes (called nystagmus) and that can tell them if the problem is central (brain related) or peripheral (ear related) and which ear right or left. Many times this test isn't always sensitive and can be normal in a lot of dizzy people, but it doesn't mean there isn't a problem even though some doctors may try and tell you that.

The rotary chair test is a chair that spins around slowly and they you follow a red dot or line on a blank wall and then on a striped wall. This test makes you really dizzy, but will pick up where the problem is especially when the ENG test didn't pick it up. This also tells them if it is a central or peripheral problem.

There are many other tests as well. Only the most up to date and top clinics that are really serious about figuring out why you are dizzy generally have the rotary chair test because it is an expensive piece of equipment.

My area didn't have a clinic with a rotary chair or a competent doctor, so I had to travel a long distance to get the test and an accurate dx, but it was worth it to know what was causing it. I had dizziness when I was 14, 35 and now at 45 each time lasting at least a year and never knew why. I also had a lot of motion sensitivity over the years and never felt like my balance was right even when I wasn't dizzy. Just like with FMS now when I was dizzy at 35 I think stress set it off as well.

Good luck to you.

Jeanette