Urgent......need research help ASAP!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darlamk, May 1, 2003.

1. darlamk

darlamk New Member

Without going into all the long drawnout details.....what I am looking for is some scientific proof that fibromyalgia can be exacerbated (made worse) by trauma. Is anyone aware of any studies out there? I would appreciate any guidance as to where to search for this also!
    Thanks,
    Darla
  2. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

Sorry, I don't have scientific proof, but I can tell you that mine was made worse by the following traumas over a ten year period

death of my child
    fall down hardwood stairs
    surgery that I didn't want to have, but had to
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I don't know of any research studies going on right now to prove that physical or emotional trauma can bring on or increase the symptoms of FM, but I know someone who might know. I don't know where you live, but I underwent a sleep study at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, which was done by Dr. Mazy Gillis. She has been studying FM for quite awhile and has written quite a few articles. She may know of a study or can put you in contact with someone who does. She is very nice and I am sure she would be glad to help you. I am at work right now, but if you want her number, I can get it for you. You will probably need to leave a message on her machine.

Ellen
  4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I know that it can be CAUSED by trauma, if that helps at all. All the literature that I have read says that it is exacerbated by any form of stress in the patient's life, and I don't know of too many people who would not call trauma stressful. Check out "Post-traumatic Fibromyalgia" by Pellegrino. Also most any of Devin Starlanyl's books. You can also type "fibromyalgia & trauma" and all its variations into Google and come up with more information than you could use in 100 years. Good luck to you!!!
    Kathryn
  5. darlamk

darlamk New Member

yes, Ellen, please post that ph number when it is convenient. I will try the searches too - better get to work!!
    Sincerely,
    Darla
    [This Message was Edited on 05/02/2003]
  6. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

has FM, this came about after a road accident. It`s taken years to get compensation, but she has now been awarded payment after they recognised the accident as the cause...

She also suffers with chronic arthritis too now.
    Symptoms were originally mild.

Love Pat.
  7. ArrowRoot

ArrowRoot New Member

The Fibromyalgia Network puts out a great newsletter and a year or two ago there were several articles on ghia cells and the studies done. I recall the studies found that trauma and stress contributed to inflammation and inflammation caused symptoms very similar to fm symptoms, and that fm-ers were found to have inflammation. Not necessarily 'proof', but as that was several years ago, more research has probably been done. I couldn't afford to continue subscribing so I don't know of updates for the past 18 months, but I believe you can research past issues online:

http://fmnetnews.com

At the risk of sounding like an advertisement, FM Network News is probably the best newsletter on fm research I have ever found.
    Hope this helps.
  8. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

So look for it near the top, or at least right now it is, it says for Darla..............

Jaci
  9. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I posted a separate message to you, but in case you don't see it, I found your old post so hopefully you will get this message. Sorry I am so long in replying back, but I neglected to tell you that I don't have a computer at home so have to use the one at work. Anyway, here is the name of the doctor who might be able to help you with research info:
    Dr. Mazy Gillis
    Henry Ford Hospital
    Sleep & Research Center
    (313) 916-5139

I could have given you the complete address, but thought you were probably just interested in the name and phone number. Anyway, hope this helps.

Ellen Comstock
  10. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I believe it can. It certainly has in my case. Everytime I`ve had a trauma or major surgery it gets a little worse. In the last five years I have had many traumas. My father died of colon cancer, I had a hysterectomy, car accident, house fire where we lost many important things. I also I also lost 2 uncles, one to cancer and other to sudden heart attack.

Everytime something happened I got worse. Right now, I am feeling terrible ill and in pain. Funny thing is for the 10 years before that the Fm was bad but still manageable. I still could function. Now it is very, very severe and I have a feeling its not going to get better this time. I going to be stuck like this unless some miracle cure is found.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/05/2003]