URGENT: Thin, peeling skin on face???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dannybex, Jul 6, 2008.

1. dannybex

dannybex Member

Hello all,

I've had this weird new symptom for the past 3-4 months or so, off and on, but it seems to be getting worse and worse recently.

I have these areas of my face, like between my nose and lips, or on my chin -- especially in this one pea-sized spot -- that just flakes and peels any time I even lightly rub it.

And a couple of times I've rubbed something under my eye, and the skin has flaked and torn lightly, to the point where it's almost bleeding.

Yes, I'm older -- 50 -- but this has just come on so relatively suddenly -- that I don't think it's age related. I do have yeast and malabsorption problems, but have had these for years.

I did stop taking zinc about six months ago, except for a few occasions, so I'm wondering if that could be part of the problem? (I was told I had an iron and copper deficiency, so I've been taking small doses of copper, and larger doses of iron, but just for the past 2-3 weeks) and this started long before that.

I don't take much vitamin C...that tends to give me weird tingly issues.

So I'm wondering if anyone has had improvement with zinc, or biotin, or vitamin A, or any of the collagen supplements -- or ANYTHING?

ANYWAY...I'll shut up.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE SO VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. I feel like I'm disintegrating...

2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I didn't have it until I got much worse and developed severe FMS on top of ME. My skin rubs off my face but there's always new skin underneath so it doesn't look like it's going to bleed. I don't know what it is but I've heard of other PWCs with this Sx. My skin rubs off the rest of my body worse than my face.

I remember someone telling me that their doctor told them that their skin was replicating too quickly. I think that's what's happening to me which makes sense since our dd speeds up a lot of body processes on a cellular level.

[This Message was Edited on 07/07/2008]
  3. dannybex

dannybex Member

Thanks Tee...

I appreciate your reply. Have you looked into essential fatty acid imbalances, or zinc or anything like that? I was googling a lot last night (too much!) and found lots of references for zinc and psoriasis, for wound healing, dry skin, etc...

But I'm still not sure at all, and of course my doc is no help.

Any other suggestions out there?

4. Luvstrwberry

Luvstrwberry New Member

I'm really starting to think this condition (FM) is something you are born with and brought out (unavoidably) as we get older. As a kid I alway "overscared" with any cut and my dermatologist told me is was a skin condition, but not sure what it was caused by.
    I also too, have the peeling skin on my nose and under my eyes that I've had since I was younger (I'm 30).
  5. dannybex

dannybex Member

He's really smart, very articulate.

He suggested that it might be due to a ZINC deficiency and also an omega 6 deficiency (mainly evening primrose or borage oil).

And it could be low vitamin A too, but I just now read that synthetic (water soluable vitamin A) is 10 times more toxic than regular (fish oil) vitamin a.

I've been taking the water soluable kind -- the wrong kind!

So...we'll see what happens.

Something has to improve in the next few weeks. I can hardly shave (with an electric razor) as my skin peels and almost bleeds so easily.

Thanks for your replies!

Remember, there HAS to be a reason or reasons for our various symptoms!

6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Let us know how it goes for you. I'm unable to take supplements anymore but I'm sure I have lots of deficiencies that get worse as these dds progress. Supplements once helped me a great deal when I could handle them.

This is one of the strangest Sx. I don't know for sure but maybe I was born with this. I didn't have as many bad Sx when I was little but I always had problems handling sugar and I had to eat a very healthy diet or I would get super sick which seemed to others like an anxiety attack or homesickness when we were at camp where we didn't eat right, but they were wrong. I was sick but my adrenaline would be pumping and I'd get weak and faint too.

Also, I've always had digestive problems and I'm sure this causes problems with absorbing nutrients which leads to deficiencies and that's only gotten worse as time's gone on as well.

Even though I'm overweight now, and I eat super healthy, I'm sure I'm malnourished because my system isn't working right. I've heard others with FMS say that their doctors told them they were malnourished and they were overweight too.

It all fits together like a puzzle.

[This Message was Edited on 07/07/2008]
  7. moi482001

moi482001 Member

that just started one day and it went on for about 6 months. In the meantime, dr. gave me cortisone which I reluctantly applied 3 times. Very thin layers. And then it slowly disappeared. It was next to my nose, about two quarters. Around my chin, each corner of the mouth. By the way, I'm 60.

While my skin was breaking out, almost bleeding, I stayed away from my moisturizer and also from the sun.

Hope your problem disappears like mine.
  8. dannybex

dannybex Member

Hi and thank you for your replies,

For the last person -- I'm sorry, your name doesn't show up when I reply -- I'm kind of surprised to hear that cortisone helped.

When I was trying to find answers, I came across cortisone, and they warned that it could make the skin even THINNER...?

So I guess I'm just wondering what type of cortisone you used...and was your skin very thin when you had this frustrating problem?

Thanks so much!