URGENT: Write congressmen, NO social security raises next 2 yrs.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msbsgblue, Aug 25, 2009.

1. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Did you hear on the news last night that they are going to suspend cost of living raises for Social Security recipients for the next 2 years. No raises!!!! Plus they are going to raise the Medicare payments.

I am just sick, all these big executives getting huge bonuses and they expect our elderly to live on what I get and less. I get a measely $525. a month.

It is an outrage.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2009]
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Personally I think it is a perfect example of how a Tapped out Social program goes about rationing and is a preview of things to come. The government has bailed out many industries and not yet taken care of the American citizens. It should open the eyes of those who think that the Government will take care of them if we become a "socialized" country. These are all American citizens who PAID into the system for years and because the government has decided that the there was no COST OF LIVING INCREASE in America, their shouldn't be a cost of living adjustment added to SS for the next 2 years. I'm sorry but I sure have seen a cost of living increase on my water bill, my electricity bill, my groceries, and especially in state taxes! Unbelievable isn't it.

PS I also think you will see a decline in accepted SSDI applications and more reviews coming up, as they find ways to lower the costs to the system. [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2009]
  3. justlooking

justlooking New Member

When people get a chance they should go to one of the US Debt clock organizations (like USDEBTCLOCK.org) where everything is broken down into what is owed to China, how much interest we are paying on it, how much money is brought in by various taxes, how much money is being spent on SS/Medicare programs, the expected spending for these programs, how much each individual citizen will have to pay for the current deficit and debt for each of these things (it's like $191,000 for one thing, $8000 for another and $23,000 for another...sorry I haven't memorized them) but everyone should take a good look at this stuff to put our debt and deficit into personal terms and perspective.

It's absolutely crazy when you look at the financial numbers and know it will take about a hundred years to pay off and that's only if we don't continue to add to it.

This debt and deficit isn't from one party, one administration, one congress or one Senate, this is years of irresponsible Washington spending, irresponsible individual Americans getting into too much debt and bad investments by Wall Street and the Banking industry!

[This Message was Edited on 08/25/2009]
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

write the people in Washington DC. They already know for whom they are
    working. 1) themselves 2) the people who send large campaign contributions.

5. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

It's all going to get much much worse.

It will get much more complicated for anyone applying for disability benefits.
    Social Security is going BROKE Fast.

We really do need to post these on the ProHealth disability board.
    Many questions are being asked on that board and there is information on the disability board about the no cost of living adjustments. This is just the beginning of no COLA.

Be Thankful if you are getting a social security check, time is getting much closer when their will no longer be any checks. Medicare is going down hill fast.

This is past getting very serious. Anyone on SS and medicare need to pay very close attention to the media. It all is happening very fast.

Wish you all well
  6. nink

nink New Member

I think I read on this board that the $250.00 "bonus" we (SSDI and retired people receiving "regular" Social Security benefits) was supposed to off-set the lack of cost of living increases for the next 2 years. I don't know about anyone else, but my $250.00 went directly to medical providers I owed (and still do). I really have tried to get that $250.00 into my savings account and keep it there for the coming 2 years, but I can't. It's gone.
  7. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

They raised my rent thirty five dollars. And I don't know how they expect me to pay that when my check is not going up to match it. It's going to get to where I will have NO tv at all. I'll keep the net and the phone, but there will be no tv if it comes down to it. And one major repair on the car and I'll have to dump it and have no car and just use the money I've been paying in car insurance for taxi cabs. I'm hoping it won't come to that, but I have a cat to feed and meds to buy. And all the things that are not covered by insurance or foodstamps.
  8. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I tell you that YOU MUST write or call in person, these online petitions do no good. Call or write and preferably write and keep a copy of your letter on your computer.
  9. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

..before I write to all these lawyers in D.C.!

10. justlooking

justlooking New Member

How can they now say the $250 was in essence a loan or prepaid SS amount. I thought it was part of the Stimulus plan given to all tax paying citizens and then to those on SS to stimulate the economy. Does that mean then that all of the taxpayers who received a stimulus check will have to pay it back???? Because this is basically what they are saying SS recipients must do with their stimulus payment.
    People watch the news carefully and question everything.

PS to clarify I realize that SS recipients receive $250 and tax payers received a different amount either on their paychecks (average of $15 more per month) or a one time payment.Will we all have to pay back the $600 per adult and $300 per child in each household next?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2009]
  11. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Thank you for your post. Can I suggest you change you title so more people will see this. I think since you can only see URGENT Write congressmen and whitehoue about so... on the post title page people may be missing this important post because there have been so many petition requests on here lately.
    Maybe put something like "Urgent No increase in social security benefits for 2 years" and then ask for people to write Washington in the post. I don't want anyone to miss this important post by thinking it is about something else. I just know there are many people on this board on SSDI or SS who are affected by this, but based on the number of views and replies to this post, I think people are missing it.
    Thank you again for bringing this subject up!
  12. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

the 250 WAS our stimulus check....ours was way less than most of the rest of the population got and now they are trying to make it look like we got some sort of extra bonus that no one else got and should not be upset at the lack of a cost of living increase (the article completely fails to make it clear that what they are referring to was the stimulus check) - it's ridiculous....not to mention that if that 250 was supposed to be in place of the cost of living increase they should have told us so that we could plan accordingly.....oh and the article did say that our cost of living effectively IS still going up, even though the pay is not, bc medical costs are still rising and we have more of those than most.....and if you figure out the cost of living increase for the next 2 yrs, the total amt we should be getting is substantially more....supposedly the average monthly payment is 1500 (more than I get, but anyway...) that means that at a 4% cost of living increase, it should go up $60 for next yr and $62 more the next yr.....that means a total of $1,464 over the 2 yrs (a bit different than 250!!!!)....yet the article tries to make it sound like we have it good, have already been given so much extra and should have no reason to worry about the lack of an increase the next 2 yrs....I'd love to see the people responsible try to live on this for even 6 months!
  13. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Changed it. Hope that helps.