Urinary Tract Infections

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fabrique, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Fabrique

Fabrique New Member

Hi All,

I never used to get Urinary Tract Infections until last year. I had one in August and now I have another one. Does this go with fibromyalgia too?

~Fabrique~
  2. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

I used to get them when I was younger but I have not had one in almost 16 years.
    I believe changes in my diet and behaviors helped to stop them.
    A
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I'm practically the queen of UTI's. I used to get them a lot when I was going through menopause. Now I rarely get them.

I was advised to use baby wipes too and that seems to have helped a lot. I got mine, I think, more so because I have had diabetes for 29 years.

I used cranberry juice and it did seem to help me. In time, it just seemed I went longer and longer without UTI's. The last one I had was early in 2005 and it just happened to come on suddenly (within hours) and I was able to see my family docs on a Saturday for urgent care. I actually had blood in my urine and the doctor said it looked really bad. I even was running a fever and I rarely did for UTI's.

I also used apple cider vinegar for a time too and that seemed to help. I'm on Detrol and have been for many years and I don't know if that helped me or not.

I think I got so many of them as I was prone to IBS-D a lot.

Now I'm on Lortabs for pain and I don't have the diarrhea so much now and I think that has helped me in that way.

It's miserable to have them. I surely hope you can feel better and not get so many. I have been to a urologist about 3 different times. Family doc treats me now and gives me the Rx of Detrol for overactive bladder that I feel is related to post menopause.

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. hartogold

hartogold New Member

I thought I was the Queen of UTI's..lol

I'm smack dab in the middle of menopause and have had UTI's on the average of every three months. I appreciate your sharing that IBS might be a contributor to it. That hit it right on the head for me. Most of the time the bacteria they found was e-coli.

I too woke up one morning about 18 months ago feeling the UTI "twinge". Within 3 hours I peeing blood and could barely walk...ended up in the ER.

Do you drink Cranberry Juice regularly? I use cider vinergar. I take it by mouth and as a rinse the "other" end with water and apple cider vinegar.

This stupid infection stuff has really messed up our sex life. Seems like no matter what precautions we take, I get at UTI within a couple of days after sex.

Thanks again for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Sandy
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

for me and i am only speaking for me!

my husband at the time was cheating on me...and all of a sudden i was coming down with uti/and bacterial and yeast infections...

i have been knon to get a yeast infection wi th antibiotics though...

jodie

oh yes i was under a lot of stress at the uti times
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Sandy,
    I don't drink cranberry juice (diet) or the apple cider vinegar anymore and I've been okay lately.

Some docs will put a patient on an antibiotic after sex to prevent them from getting the UTI's. I wonder if that is a smart thing or not. Seems like you would build up an immunity to the abx.

I never go to the ER unless it is a major, major thing. I hate going there it is such a waste of time for me the times I've had to go because my husband had problems.

Well it is beyond my time to go to sleep. Almost 3 AM here...

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

yes they call it a prophalaxis...and i agree about not taking them...except unforntately when you are dx with it...

i don't have my spleen so i have had the dr's even offer to put me on antibiotics when i have a cold so i don't get pneumonia...i turn them down because am so afraid when i am really in need of them i will have built up an immunity or resistance the the antibotics...

i do have a bottle of pills here at the house from 2001..for just incase i do get a uti...trust me you will know when you have one...

jodie
  8. hartogold

hartogold New Member

Thanks Faye. You've been very helpful. Nice to know I'm not alone. Well...I don't know about that...I don't wish uti infections on anyone. Sleep well. It's only 11:30 here so I'm still up...have insomnia tonight.
    Love,
    Sandy
  9. Fabrique

Fabrique New Member

Hugs to all of you for your replys. I'm going to get me some baby wipes and see if that helps. Also, somebody told me to go to the Health Food Store and get some Colidal Silver, they said it helped them tremendously.

~Fabrique~
  10. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

to make sure and go pee b4 sex. mabe this will help if you are always getting them after sex.
  11. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Mylilcherub,
    I was told to pee after sex. So maybe we should be peeing before and after? :)

Hugs,
    Faye
  12. sleepless_in_tx

sleepless_in_tx New Member

I was getting alot of UTI's and my doctor told me to pee before & after sex, and to use those antibactirial toliet wipes (Charmin, ect.) after a bowel movement. It seems to have helped.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2006]