Urine test question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jadibeler, Aug 8, 2006.

1. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I've been fighting what seems to be a UTI for about 3 weeks. I was on Doxycycline for 2 weeks. Some of the symptoms (frequency, aching pain in genitals) cleared up but they gave way to new symptoms (raw, sores, itching). Never any burning on urination.

I just had my 3rd office visit with urine test and it is still showing white cells. I requested a vaginal exam because now the symptoms seem like a yeast infection, which my dr. also thought. But inside I was just fine. He said he doesn't know where the yeast is coming from.

My question is this: Can Candida be in the urinary tract and would it result in an elevated white count? A urine culture was done on the first visit and I was told it "came out negative". I neglected to ask "negative for what?" Would they even have been looking for Candida? At any rate, I'm now taking Diflucan. . . next appt. in 2 weeks.

This all started when I started pounding down water, when I hardly ever drank it, for several days. My own personal theory is that Candida was lurking in my kidneys (and probably other places) and got flushed out, causing problems on the way. Does this make sense to anyone?
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I don't know as I haven't had problems with candida that way... but nothing would surprise me either.

Have you tried D-Mannose for bacterial infections yet, tho? It is an incomplete sugar that bacteria like but cannot live on since it is incomplete. It is the active ingredient in cranberries that help UTIs.

... altho if you also have yeast, I don't know how it would affect that, it is considered a sugar alcohol.

Hope somebody can give you better answers, sounds extremely uncomfortable. Did your dr. suggest maybe taking diflucan or nystatin as a trial?

Victoria
  3. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

The most commom method for testing urine is a "dipstick" with chemicals in little pads that react with different things that may be in your urine (sugar, ketones, blood, etc.). If we detect blood, bacteria, protein we spin down the urine and make microscope slide of the concentrated sediment. Yeast (Candida) can be seen on the microscope slide and SHOULD grow on a culture.

Some of the possible side effects of doxycycline use are:

Red itchy rashes and blisters/sores with flaking/raw skin

Doxycline is NOT metabolized and passes out of the body in urine.

My guess is that the mucus membranes (moist, sensitive tissues) in the urinary/genital region are reacting to the doxycycline that was concentrated in your urine and the inflammation hasn't cleared yet. The white blood cells are there because the respond to all types of inflammation. It may take weeks before you feel better. This may not sound entirely pleasant, bu may I suggest diaper rash cream such as Desitin or Balmex (they even have one called ButtPaste). I have used these on contact dermatitis in that area and they help. Best wishes.