URISTAT question anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, May 15, 2006.

1. On the pkg it says to only take for 2 days. Does anyone know if you can take it longer, will it hurt anything? I am on antibiotics but think I have IC back again. It really helps even though its a mess.
  2. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Doctors say I do not have IC, but have had problems with recurring bladder infections. I would complete an antibiotic treatment only to have symptoms immediately recur.

A couple of years ago I tried Uristat. It didn't help me, but another over-the-counter product, Cystex, did. As I was completing the Cystex I started taking cranberry capsules (available as a supplement at Target, Wal-Mart etc. or health food stores), and continued taking those for about a month. No problems since, after years of problems before. As I understand, cranberry does something to the bladder lining which prevents residual bacteria from surviving. I'm not sure this is compatible with IC, but it might be worth checking out.
  3. unfortunately I gave in and tried the cranberry juice and about died, it made it 10 times worse. WHEW! I don't know if the capsules would be okay with IC.
  4. intensemom

intensemom New Member

I hope you have a good urologist!! I have IC too. I took uristat for several weeks. It was fine with my doc. I tried to limit it to nighttime so that I could sleep. My urologist prescribed me Urised which is a prescription strength version of uristat...same except it turns your pee blue. It basically numbs your bladder lining. It worked for me; but should only be a temporary solution.

But I would advise you to be treated with something more permanent...Elmiron...it rebuilds the bladder lining. I took it for one year about 6 years ago and it did the trick. I will have an occasional mini-flare with my period...that's it. It doesn't keep me awake anymore or cause pain. I understand what you're going through. Let me know if I can help anymore!!!

(Gentle Hugs)
    Tracy
    [This Message was Edited on 05/16/2006]
  5. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Fibrobutterfly,

One of the reasons that the package may say that is if you are in pain for more than two days, they want you to see a doctor.

If the anti-biotics clear up whatever you are taking them for and you are still in pain, you should probably see someone who specializes in IC. There are treatments, but that's ONE thing I've never had (knock wood), so I don't know much about them.

Good luck!

- julie (is free!)

Take your cat and leave my sweater
    We've got nothing left to weather
    In fact, I'll feel a whole lot better
    But you'll think of me..

- Keith Urban
  6. I am on antibiotics but apparantly they aren't working. Unfortunately he didn't do a urine culture and went by my symtoms. I am going to ask for a test before I keep taking anything more, as I can't take antibiotcs too long! Especially if they dont help, I am thinking its my IC?
  7. Strawberry94

Strawberry94 New Member

In my 20s I took it for months at a time.

What lovely blue colors it made for me!

8. Why did you take it for months? For a infection or IC? It is a mess, it turns mine bright yellow. I did call the dr. office, and am waiting to see what they say now. AHHHHH!