"US" Lyme causes more inflammation...

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by victoria, Nov 15, 2009.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Borrelia burgdorferi Stimulates Macrophages to Secrete Higher Levels of Cytokines and Chemokines than Borrelia afzelii or Borrelia garinii Klemen Strle, Elise E. Drouin, Shiqian Shen, Joseph El Khoury, Gail McHugh, Eva Ruzic-Sabljic, Franc Strle, and Allen C. Steere

The Journal of Infectious Diseases, electronically published 12 November
    2009. http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/648091

To delineate the inflammatory potential of the 3 pathogenic species of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato, we stimulated monocyte-derived macrophages from healthy human donors with 10 isolates each of B. burgdorferi, Borrelia afzelii, or Borrelia garinii recovered from erythema migrans skin lesions of patients with Lyme borreliosis from the United States or Slovenia.

B. burgdorferi isolates from the United States induced macrophages to secrete significantly higher levels of interleukin (IL)-8, CCL3, CCL4, IL-6, IL-10, and tumor necrosis factor than B. garinii or B. afzelii isolates. Consistent with this response in cultured macrophages, chemokine and cytokine levels in serum samples of patients from whom the isolates were obtained were significantly greater in B. burgdorferi-infected patients than in B. afzelii- or B. garinii-infected patients.

These results demonstrate in vitro and in vivo that B. burgdorferi has greater inflammatory potential than B. afzelii and B. garinii, which may account in part for variations in the clinical manifestations of Lyme borreliosis.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/648091

2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

That is very interesting!

Thanks for posting it!!!
  3. munch1958

munch1958 Member

But we patients could have told them that! If they'd just listen to us.

I wonder tho if this isn't part of the new spin they'll be placing on Bb in the USA. The IDSA has to cook up something new. Like oh yeah, the reason some patients are so sick is because of strain XYZ is much worse than strain ABC.

I see that the authors of this article are some of IDSA 14. Is that as close as Steere will ever come to admitting they blew it?

I think it takes years of treatment to kill of the bacteria and maybe a few more to calm down all of that inflammation. As most of us know, the symptoms return once we go off Abx. Some of us get a few days. Others a few weeks depending on other infections. Turning off the inflammation is the tricky part. Was this what they were trying to label "post Lyme autoimmune" disease? PLAI never really has been accepted by patients.

I wonder if they'll ever do susceptibility studies to see what Abx kill off each of the major infections. In order to do that, they'd need to develop a test for each of the different strains.

If they could just find a 100% definitive test like they have for syphilis then part of this would be solved. Even after syphilis treatment, a patient needs to be retested for relapse at 3, 6, 9, 12 and 24 months and a person can relapse at any time during their lifetime. This is well known so I don't understand why the IDSA won't accept "the other spirochete" as being hard to kill off.

4. victoria

victoria New Member

it's a start tho...
  5. victoria

victoria New Member