Use of Proscar or Propecia and CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by overit, Sep 1, 2002.

1. overit

overit New Member

I have been using Propecia for several years now. It has worked great in stopping my hair loss. Recently I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). After eight months of suffering with CFS (lost my job, etc,) my doctor discovered that most of my hormones were at extrememly low levels. I am on hormone replacement therapy
    and am beginning to feel much better.

Since Propecia is a hormone inhibitor I wonder if it may have caused my illness. I would like to hear from anyone else who has had a similar experience. I believe that Propecia and Proscar are similar drugs.

2. overit

overit New Member

I have been using Propecia for several years now. It has worked great in stopping my hair loss. Recently I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). After eight months of suffering with CFS (lost my job, etc,) my doctor discovered that most of my hormones were at extrememly low levels. I am on hormone replacement therapy
    and am beginning to feel much better.

Since Propecia is a hormone inhibitor I wonder if it may have caused my illness. I would like to hear from anyone else who has had a similar experience. I believe that Propecia and Proscar are similar drugs.

3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi welcome to the board. I am not familiar with the two drugs you mention; Propacia and Proscar. But I am sure others here will be about to share their experience with you.

Just stopped to welcome you, and to direct you to some of our features on this site.

You can go to the top of the board where it says; Library, Home and Community and learn a lot about CFS, also the 'Store' link for supplements.

I have not heard of any direct link to anyone thing that causes CFS as of yet. I don't think anyone does know at this point.

But we do have some of the latest research on the links I listed above for you, so please go read in the area you are interested.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

There's lots of info avail here & from the great & caring members of this board. Sundays & a holiday weekend may slow the board down a bit, so check back off & on for any replies.

I'm not familiar w/ Propecia, but since I've been recently dx'd w/ fms & cfids I've learned that some people are claiming Lupron (which inhibits hormones - pituitary gland spec)is a factor in their newly developed fms and/or cfids. I took Lupron last spr/summer, noticed I never really got back to myself afterwards (seemed to make the fatigue I'd suffered for a yr after virus worse). Don't know if that may have contributed to my onset--there's new research & theories coming more & more, but there are still no definite answers.

So I'm doing my best to concentrate on dealing with what I have. I've gotten alot of hope from members here who are doing much better & learning new things to try to help control my symptoms.

Hopefully, replacing your hormones, while not curing cfids, will lessen your symptoms. Best wishes, and let us know how you're doing. Michele