Use Rice Socks For Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As I mentioned in another post, I've been gone a long time from the boards. I've noticed a lot of the same posts as when I was here before. So, I assume we have new members who weren't here when some subjects were discussed. As I think of things which have helped me, I'll post them for the new generation of members. I'm glad when people find this valuable resource with such sweet and supportive members but I hate it that we keep getting new members because that means that these illnesses continue to strike more and more people. My own CFIDS was triggered 20 years ago and 10 years ago, it got so bad that I was bedridden most of the time and on Morphine for pain. In all that time, there has been so little research and no cause nor no cure has been found. About all we can do is try different treatments and treat our symptoms.

That's where the rice socks come in. It isn't my idea; one of the first members here came up with it. You can use regular socks or tube socks and fill them with the cheapest rice you can find. The socks shouldn't be filled so full that they are hard and round. They need to be able to conform to one's body. You can microwave these and apply them to aches and pains. They keep their heat quite a while. If you need moist heat, you can lay the heated sock over a wet, heated wash cloth and it will stay hot a long time. I'm currently doing this on my eyelids to loosen up the oils in them to address my dry eye. I use the socks for my sinusitis too. It is helpful for swollen lymph nodes before I massage them.

These socks can be used over and over. When the sock needs to be washed, the rice can be transferred into another sock. I took one of those plastic disposable drink cups and cut the bottom off of it. It holds the sock open so I can pour the rice.

Love, Mikie
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Mikie - I have a similar item that I purchased. It is filled with some sort of grain; don't know what. It works great when I have a headache or sinus pain, therefore, I rarely need to take a pain killer (obviously I don't have FM). You just have to be careful not to over microwave them. I just about cooked my eyes the one time I had the thing so hot - LOL.

Take care.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, one has to be careful not to get it too hot. One nice thing about the rice socks is that they usually don't get too hot and they hold what heat they do have. What I have to be careful of is getting the wet washcloth too hot. I've just about cooked my eyeballs too. I have to put this on my eyelids twice a day and then massage them. I get carried away and have given myself black eyes. Between the heat and massage, I must be breaking tiny blood vessels. AACK!

As y'all may have read, I've been having a problem with my lymph nodes draining and the rice socks help get that fluid moving too. We have small lymph nodes back behind our ears on the backs of our heads at the top of our necks. The rice socks are very comforting there. I've used them under my arms and alongside my breasts to get the lymph fluid moving. If I don't, my breasts become very tender. I'm suspecting Sjogren's but one test was indicitive of it and the other neg. Such is the nature of the illnesses we suffer.

I had heard of the bar of soap but never tried it. In the old days, they heated bricks or stones and wrapped them in towels to keep the feet warm. Later on, they used hot water bottles. Even later on, heating pads. I use a heating pad but it doesn't work for places like my eyelids. I also have some electric heating mitts for the arthritis in my hands. They are wonderful.

Love, Mikie