Using a Fan to help sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrpain, Jan 31, 2007.

1. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I'm going to tell on myself, and this may sound wierd to some, but for decades, I have always had to have a fan on in the bedroom to help me sleep..

Even when I'm in a hotel, I carry in a fan to sleep. I love the constant sound of the motor and breeze, plus it will knock out any outside noise & interference that can be disturbing..

Can anyone else relate, or am I the only one?? And having fibro with sleep problems, the fan is a great help... In many ways!
  2. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

In the past I've used a fan when traveling to drown out roommate's snoring and it would help me to fall asleep faster. It worked well. Now I have a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea and it serves the same function as your fan. It is a constant sound (the air being pumped into my mask and me breathing it in) that aids me in falling asleep faster than I do otherwise. I think sounds like that are calming sounds. It's like white noise in big office buildings -- it is constant, but not annoying and, I believe, calming.
  3. llama

llama New Member

Hi,

I keep my ceiling fan in my bedroom on low (or higher in the summer). My husband thinks it's crazy, but that's okay, we've had separate bedrooms for years due to his horrendous snoring!!

I too like the low, constant sound of the motor but also I just feel like I can breathe easier. Some nights I'll try to go without it, but always end up turning it on.

I don't travel much at all...but I know I would be bothered without my ceiling fan to lull me to sleep.

.............Jill...............
  4. TKE

TKE New Member

Huz & I always turn the ocelating fan on when we go to bed.

5. kriket

kriket New Member

I am the same way. I keep the ceiling fan running all night, plus another fan blowing on me. The constant breeze and noise help me sleep better too.

Kriket
  6. monamea

monamea New Member

Hello mrpain,

I too have a fan on everynight, it keeps my room cool because my room is the first room the heat goes to and even with the vent closed it gets to warm. I also like to feel the air flow around my face, I have sleep apnea and a cpap machine but I still like the fan on. I put my radio on for 15mins and the fan on and I fall right to sleep. It doesn't take long.
  7. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I too have used a fan since early childhood and when I travel it goes right along with us. Hubby is actually the opposite though because he loves the quiet time but he has adjusted pretty well with it LOL.

8. Hairymel

Hairymel New Member

I can't sleep without my fan! (well right now I just can't sleep period) I'am afraid I hooked my three boys as well. I would always put the fan on low in their rooms as babies and now they do it. I even go so far as to have a fan prefrence. I like a box fan It makes the most satisfying hum to me. I go through at least 2 a year. And I'll let you in on my other dirty little secret. When I'm in the kitchen cooking or doing dishes...I always put the oven exhaust fan on. I love the calming constant "whir". I think it really helps me stop stressing and helps me with madding repetitive thoughts.My husband is a doll and has gotten use to it.But in the passed people would give me crap about having to use a fan at night. And it has to be a fan! My husband got me a white noise machine for Christmas...it's nice but not as effective for me. Wow I guess I had a lot to say about sleeping with my beloved fan. I need to get out more.
  9. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Yes, a fan does help. It's the noise for me & the gentle breeze in case I get warm, not night sweats or hot flashes just warm.

You are not alone.

friends,
    fungirl
  10. Callum

Callum New Member

And it has to be an old, square floor fan - make enough noise to drown out neighbors.

Callum
  11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

mrpain:

I like to leave the A/C on during some nights. Even in the Winter.

Sleep problems, although IMHO, are very common for those of us with fibromyalgia.

nyrofan

12. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I have cfs only.

for years i have had to leave my air condtioner running every nite no matter what the temp because the "white noise" helps me sleep. so my elec bill is always high. i hated to "waste" electricity like that., but I NEEDED it to sleep.

Recently I have switched over to a white noise machine. and it is working!!!! my parents gave it to me. i don't know how much it costs but it can't be too much. it's so small (smaller than a shoe box!) so i can take it with me if i ever travel.

i love it!
  13. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have slept with a fan on everynight for years.

Love the breeze and the noise drowns out my ringing ears. I'm going for a sleep study and wondering if they will let me bring a small fan.

Sue in Ontario
  14. JLH

JLH New Member

My husband is just like you.

I, personnally, need my TV on all night for the same reasons as you do your fan!!

jlh
  15. jlanciloti

jlanciloti New Member

Been using for 30 years. For awhile I used to think I was only one, then started meeting other 'fan' people.I'll bet it was a 'fan' person who invented that white noise machine, which I don't think is as good as the real thing. The Fan J
  16. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Well I'm definitely not the only one..... Glad to know I'm not alone!

By the way, where do you get those white noise machines?

And yes; I've been using a fan at night for as long as I can remember..... Just got to have it.
  17. padre

padre New Member

I have an air cleaner which is the same as a fan. On trips I now have to use a sound generator that sounds like a fan. The reason for me is that it masks the ringing in my ears that I get from my meds.
  18. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

I have ALways loved the fan on me / in the room when I sleep! I grew up hearing a fan "wrirring" in my parents room constantly at night so when I "grew up" I thought that I would try it because they must have loved it- must be something to it. I put a fan on and have been doing that ever since. Its very soothing. I agree that it might help someone to sleep and to just try it out.

ZZzzzzz
  19. Shalala

Shalala New Member

just don't get sick ;-)