Using an inversion table

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rickj44, Oct 24, 2009.

1. rickj44

rickj44 Member

I got one of these to see if it may help with my back and leg pain. I only used it a couple times, as i found after being on it for only 10 mins i felt sick for about 1 hr.I only went a little passed level.
    Was wondering if anybody try one before and did they have any better luck.

2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

My brother has used inversion very successfully to avoid surgery on sciatic nerve dysfunction. However, he does not suffer from POTS or orthostatic intolerance or CFS or fibro.

It may not be for everyone ...
  3. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Yes, I have an inversion table. I had a lot of spinal pathology, have had for years. Lots of physical therapy, yady, yady. Unfortunately cannot live at the physical therapists.

The inversion table has helped me. It releases the muscle tension, and gives my back some relief while inverted. The results, depending on the level of pain/muscle tension, etc will last awhile. Of course the more the table is used, the more relief.

I do not have a problem with inverting, I did start slow but on the first try, got past the level you were at.

There maybe inner ear issues or other physical issues resulting in your feeling "sick." Did you feel nauseated???

4. rickj44

rickj44 Member

yes i did feel Nauseated , i may try it again, i hate giving up on things so early..It so big and I took it all apart,but maybe i will give it another try. I was only on it about 3 times, and less then 10 mins.
    I dont think i have inner ear problems, but it felt like 25 years ago when i went on a ride at the fair.they never use to bother me, but i got a certain age and, i couldnt do it anymore. I had to go home after that ride and was sick for 2 days.

5. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Ten minutes would be considered, in MHO, a long time initially. This is something that takes time to work into.

Even if you are a tiny bit past level, your muscles are benefitting, you are off-loading the weight.

I have problems with amusement rides. Sometimes, I have problems sitting at a red light in my car and get a funny feeling my car is moving when it is the car next to me that is moving. By the time I realize that, I have already applied a great deal more pressure to the break pedal.

So I do have motion issues, do get sea sick also easily, unfornuately for me since we do own a sail boat.

Take it very slow. I simple decongestant if you can take them might be helpful if you do not meet with success starting off more slowly.

Good luck, the benefits of pain relief is worth the effort.

Fondly, June
  6. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

I spoke with my chiro before I got it (used from a friend).. he pretty much agreed with me in the fact that I have so much muscle tightness in other areas that the inversion table wouldnt be an asset to me.. I have him and a killer massage chair.. all I need OH and a theracane!
  7. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I find it helps with muscle tension. It is important to go slowly though, just to the point of tension, and then relax the entire body. Actually this really takes time because we hold tension in our bodies anyway and now being in a position we are not accustomed to, the body wants to brace.'s tiny, tiny steps......and relaxing every step of the way.

I needed my physical therapist less.