using DMSO

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ggks, Sep 11, 2009.

1. ggks

ggks New Member

I was having a lot of pain with my knees, thighs, calfs and ankles and didn't want to continue taking ibuprofin every 4 hours. Then I remembered, I used to sell a product called DMSO that really worked. Before I got Fibro. So I thought I'll just give it a try. WOW was I ever surprised. It doesn't cure anything but the relief from the severe pain was something else. It had been at least 15 years since I quite selling it and thought the strength was gone, but it wasn't. Don't take my word for it, type in DMSO and read what comes up.
    As the old saying goes "try it you'll like it"

I believe it can be bought at a health food store. Call them before going. buy the smallest amount you can before trying.
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I've used DMSO myself, but my preferred use is in professionally compounded topical RXs.

DMSO is a polar solvent -- almost a universal solvent, of which there are very few that science has discovered. Because of that, it is VERY important that, if you are self-treating, that you try to obtain the purest grade of DMSO possible. If the DMSO is even slightly impure, the chemical impurities can easily be absorbed into your body & travel everywhere. There is little defense.

A lot of commercial-grade DMSO out there, used in industry for cleaning, stain removal & not particularly pure.

When applying DMSO, even "pure" pharma-grade DMSO, you need to be careful. Apply to cleansed and thoroughly-rinsed skin. Do not apply over or near to tattoos, body art, patch meds, or where transdermal/topical meds or HABA products have recently been applied. Ditto for the fingers applying the DMSO, which will be absorbed through the skin there as well. If you decide to use a Q-tip or cotton ball for application, be aware that this is not recommended, as there are chemicals in those as well that will transfer in.

Allow the DMSO to dry thoroughly. If you cover the wet DMSO skin area with clothing containing synthetic fabric or flame retardant, you can BE ASSURED that the polyester or other chemical is making it's way to your brain, liver & kidneys.

MSM is a derivative of DMSO that also has pain-alleviating properties. It's much less hazardous to use, doesn't give you garlic breath/BO, readily available in HFS, and fairly inexpensive.

However, for people who are sulfur-sensitive, reactions may occur to either product.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2009]
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

You might want to ck with a compounding pharmacist about the wisdom of adding DMSO to other mixtures.

4. jole

jole Member

Wow!!! My hubby used it years ago with good relief, and they certainly didn't have all those restrictions/cautions back then! The only ones were to wash hands well after applying, and not to get it into mouth or Wonder what damage he did to his body/brain? Just goes to show how much they learn after years of people using a product!!

As a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, this was first used on race horses, and then some of the trainers tried it and it worked for them. Then it spread by word of mouth. Many people bought it from veterinarians back about 30 years ago. (To use on themselves, not their animals.)

I'd forgotten all about it until it was brought up to me by a DO a couple years ago. But I'm on so many meds I haven't tried it yet. Now I'm not sure I want to..... Jole
  5. astroherb

astroherb New Member

SnooZQ is absolutely right. DMSO will transport ANYTHING on your skin or in it deep into your body tissues. It does give amazing pain relief, but please use with caution.

I decided I didn't want to take a chance with it, and started to take MSM, magnesium, and malic acid. It isn't an overnight fix, but within a month you should notice much less pain. I know it works for me because I can really tell the difference if I don't take the supplements.

It may not work for everyone, but did help me tremendously.

Good luck in finding the right treatment.

6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Thank you for the warnings about DMSO. How funny that I just ordered some DMSO cream today because I heard about it here awhile back and then again in the Chat Room. I'm hoping that it will help me with my leg pain especially. Hey, what would happen if I put a Lidocaine patch on top of it? lol No, I don't think that's a good idea actually, as there are probable other ingredients in the Lidocaine Patch that I wouldn't want to absorb too quickly.

I have heard that you can mix some crushed aspirin into the DMSO and that that can provide good pain relief. I like my pain sprays but they make me very cold which can be okay if I'm hot but not good the when I'm freezing like I have been lately, ditto for Biofreeze.

I'm also going to try Magnesium Oil.
  7. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I'd urge you to talk to a compounding pharmacist before mixing any OTC with DMSO. Most OTCs are not "pure" -- there's other stuff added to aspirin, for example, to help make a compressable mixture that binds together & forms a tablet.

Please don't be afraid to ask. IME pharmacists are really great about answering "general" questions, even those unrelated to a current RX or current purchase.

Best wishes.
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

Naturally you have to be careful using it... maybe even more so compounding it.

Anyway, my son used it when he had the worst of the Lyme joint/muscle pain, found it really helped.... The type he used was expensive but had a lot of other anti-inflammatories in it (brand name sold online is Soothanol):

Arnica Oil, Calendula Oil, Cayenne pepper, DMSO, Emu Oil, Ginger, Limonene Oil, Menthol (9.53%), MSM, Olive Oil, St. John’s Wort Oil, & Wintergreen

9. marw

marw New Member

Thank you, thank you a thousand times for the warning about sulfer sensitives. I'm not just sensitive, I'm highly allergic. You probably saved my Life with the mention of the sulfer.

If this is something that can be bought at a Health food store, I probably would have tried it. This is why I never use homeopathics or otc's or even prescription meds until I know absolutely every ingredient in it, even the supposedly inactive ones. Often they have soy or some other thing I am allergic to. I am not allergic to soy, but I get such Migraine from it that I would never voluntarily use any product with soy in it.

Sulfer, however, is a potential killer. I do carry an Epipen, but prefer not to take chances.

Thanks again.----Marw
  10. simonedb

simonedb Member

whats the name of yr mag oil? i was sensitive to msg sulphate lotion.
  11. harmonangel

harmonangel Member

@marw actually the sulfar thats in dmso is a natural sulfar that is found in all human cannot possibly be allergic to this sulfer...its actually vital for human life...research it...youll be amazed @ what you find...getting enough of this sulfar (which is hard to do these days) is so very important for your health!