Using Hydrogen Peroxide On My Toothbrush

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've always heard that we should change our toothbrushes when we have been sick. I've never figured out the optimal time of when to do this. I use an expensive Japanese HyG toothbrush and I don't like to get rid of the changeable brush ends until it is time.

Today, it occured to me that I could just dump some hydrogen peroxide on my brush each time I use it. I am amazed at how much better my teeth feel now. I just put the toothpaste on top of the brush without rinsing it after the hydrogen peroxide. It makes the toothpaste all bubbly and is good for the gums. My teeth feel like they have just been cleaned. The toothpaste masks the nasty taste of the hydrogen peroxide.

Just wanted to share this little tip with all y'all because I know gum and tooth problems are part of our illnesses.

Love, Mikie
  2. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

I didn't know gums and teeth probelms go with this DD. What is an expensive Japanese HyG toothbrush? Is it an IONIC toothbrush?

I do know a little about the benefits of hydrogen peroxide. My best friend has gargled with is for about 20 yrs. She has the most beautiful WHITE teeth ever. You would think she got them done. Just don't anyone swallow it. It will induce vomiting. I use to gargle peroxide when I was younger, but you know how we all change. I'm always fighting with my teeth and gums now. Never knew it could be this DD.

[This Message was Edited on 07/14/2003]
  3. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I used to put my brush in listerine.
    I have since heard that you can put them in the
    microwave to sterilize them. Haven't tried
    that yet. I use the Orab B Bruan.
    What's this brush you are talking about?
    Never heard of it.

4. sofy

sofy New Member

In order to avoid fluoride I use baking soda and peroxide. I put a top on the peroxide bottle that has a spout.
    Wash hands, put baking soda in left hand. Put a squirt of peroxide on the toothbrush and dip in baking soda and brush away. Do it again as needed. When I am finished rinsing my brush, shake all the water off and give a squirt of peroxide. Let sit on counter for at least 5 or 10 min before putting in an upright position where the fluid will run off.

This will help keep your teeth white due to tea and coffee if you brush right after drinking and it is way cheap.
  5. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I do a lot more dental preventative maintenance than I used to do when younger, so I look for any dental tips...

Since I started getting abscessed teeth, frequently, I decided it was up to me to prevent these problems..I started brushing/flossing, right after eating any food, and now seem to be preventing the problems that were so prevalent..and apparently, my dentist thinks that I am preventing gum disease by being so vigilant..(he indicated that I have some the healthiest gums he has seen in many years)..

I also, had Sjogren's Syndrome, causing extreme dryness in the mouth and have had to increase my water consumption, expontentially..but the lack of saliva, which washes away alot of the germs caused dental cavities/abscesses..adding sea salt to my diet seems to be helping retain more moisture, although still have dry mouth, but not all the time as before..FM/CFS people tend to have dehydration problems, so increasing moisture is going to help one overall..

I think that we are more likely to have the bacterial infections, which cause the cavities/abscesses, also, because our immune system is, I also, take OLE to help fight those off...

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I used to date a guy who used it as a mouthwash, but I cannot stand the taste. He never had dental problems and his breath was always fresh.

I have used the hp with baking soda to brush my teeth, but I like it with the toothpaste.

You can spray your veggies and fruit with it and then spray them with vinegar and it will get rid of pesticides and bacteria. You rinse them with water afterward.

An ozonator will do the same thing.

Yes, my toothbrush is an ionic toothbrush. I also use a battery operated circular toothbrush which twirls around from time to time. I blast out debris with my WaterPik, use those plastic brush picks, and use a gum stimulator. The other day when I got my teeth cleaned, the gums between my back molars was bleeding, so even with everything else I do, I'm going to have to be more careful with my flossing. The hygeinist told me to put a couple of knots in the floss to get right up to the margins in my crowns, so I've been doing that.

The older, tireder, and sicker I get, the more this poor old body needs in terms of maintenance. Pretty soon, taking care of myself will consume all my time :)

Love, Mikie
  7. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

I have never heard of spraying veges with peroxide and then vinegar.
    When I was sick about every month with a different bug I couldn't see throwing out my toothbrush (can get expensive) so I just soaked it in peroxide for 24 hours.
    But I like the idea of leaving it in the peroxide. Sounds like it makes teeth squeaky clean.
    I am going to try that tonight!

[This Message was Edited on 07/14/2003]
  8. Hippen

Hippen New Member

I am so glad that you posted this...I will now try peroxide on my toothbrush. I like the idea of clean squeaky teeth !!!! Love Hippen
  9. jolly

jolly New Member

Every month or so I soak my toothbrush with a denture cleanser tablet - comes out all sparkly new looking and very clean. Jo Ellen
  10. marianparlors

marianparlors Member

That is a very common replacement head for all working electric toothbrush today and it really twirls around from time to time.