Using protein powder to help anxiety

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunflowergirl, Oct 13, 2005.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

Lately I've been suffering from low blood sugar attacks, which some doctors really think are the same as panic attacks. I've done a lot of research and have gone back on that diet.....no rice/potatoes, pasta, no sugar, etc. etc. and have been using protein powder in milk drinks in the morning and afternoon. The first time I added protein powder in milk in the afternoon (when I was feeling really bad) within l0 minutes I felt a tremendous change and that carried me over to dinner time. I also have some protein before I go to bed to carry me over to the morning.

Anybody else out there using protein powder as a dietary suppliment?
    [This Message was Edited on 10/14/2005]
  2. auntcon

auntcon New Member

I've been wondering if that would help thanks for posting I'm looking forward to seeing what the others say.

I do feel better if I take the white out of my diet. but it is soooo hard to do.

Connie
  3. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Hi, I'm doing Dr St Amand's low carb high protein diet for CFS/FMs, & it makes me feel more alert & stops the carb cravings. He believes that many of us are hypoglycemic. Many of his recipes have protein powder in them, but I don't know where to buy it in the U.K.
  4. sunflowergirl

health food stores for the protein powder. Either that or order it on line.
  5. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

It's a high protein 20g shake mix with 3 net carbs per serving and less than 1g sugar. I'm not sure if I like it or not yet. The stuff is very hard to mix I've got to shake and shake it! You can't just stir it with a spoon. I just started it. I'm realy having problems with this NO SUGAR thing.lol
    Glad its helping you.
    Dee50
  6. sunflowergirl

I bought a large gallon container at Trader Joe's. It's vanilla flavored and as soon as you put liquid to it, it gets really thick. I usually mix a small amount of liquid, stir it around until all the lumps are gone then add more milk and cereal in the morning.

In the afternoon I use frozen blueberries in the blender and then slowly add milk and protein powder. I'm thinking maybe since I don't eat much food I haven't been getting enough protein. If you're having low blood sugar shakes/etc. you really need that constant supply of protein.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/14/2005]
  7. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I also have been taking soy protein powder shakes for about two years and I feel much stronger and energetic from them plus my heartburn has almost gone away. I think my body does not digest protein properly so I really need the shake on a daily basis along with dinner. Protein shakes make a big difference in my energy levels!
  8. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I don't want to rain on your parade, but please be careful with the milk because milk has lactose which is a form of sugar and could still effect your blood sugar.

There are a lot of good sites on the web for protein purchase. Usually a whey protein is best utilized.

I would look for one that doesn't have carbs or aspertame.

A company called Champion makes some very good proteins.

I have to take 5-6 protein shakes a day and I use the Champion. I make mine with either just water, or water and ice and put it in the blender. Nothing else because I want the full effect of the protein and NO extra calories. That's the other thing with milk... extra calories.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  9. sunflowergirl

I knew that milk had the sugar, even the non fat but I didn't know how to get around it. I guess I'm going to have to "tinker" with my recipe.