Uterine Fibroids, why me?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dzlady, Mar 2, 2011.

1. dzlady

dzlady New Member

So the doctor's office just called me and I have uterine fibroids. I have to see a gynecologist. I have done a bit of searching and ya know, I see a lot of the things that I have in the symptoms,
    Heavy menstrual bleeding
    Prolonged menstrual periods — seven days or more of menstrual bleeding
    Pelvic pressure or pain
    Frequent urination
    Difficulty emptying your bladder
    Backache or leg pains...
    actually, I have all of them and here I was thinking that there was something else causing all these problems. I thought I had a dropped bladder causing the frequent urination, the meds causing the constipation, etc...However, I do know that this might be PART of the problem. Looks like I am going to have to have a hysterectomy. (smoker over 40, oral contraceptives are out) I have been having some serious doubts about the depo shot as well. Strokes, blood clots, and osteoporosis all run in my family, along with breast cancer. Why ME?

2. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I am 45 and just came by from a gynecologist visit for the same concerns that you have. I am also a smoker, hate to admit that, but I am. I have all the symptoms that you have, except my periods are only heavy the first 2 days, then it's gone by the 5 day.

I was also concerned about uterine fibroids. After my pelvic exam, she told me that she doesn't feel anything in my uterus and that it was small. I also had a pap test and a test to check for yeast problems. All these tests were negative.

Did your primary doctor do a pelvic exam on you? I think that is how they determine if you have fibroids or not, although I am not entirely sure about that. So many of us women have "female" problems along with our fibro, I would not jump the gun just yet. Wait until you see the gynecologist. You may not have to have a hysterectomy, they don't usually do that unless if you have fibroids they are extremely large, I think there is another procedure that they can do, but I'm sorry for my ignorance, I'm not sure what it is, but if you don't want to have to go through surgery, please discuss ALL options with the doctor. I can understand completely why you don't want oral contraceptives, I wouldn't take those either. Good luck and let us know. Hugs, Chelz.
  3. dzlady

dzlady New Member

I had an ultrasound monday and thats when the fibroids were found. I also have ovarian cysts, which was the original reason for the ultrasound (internal). On one hand, I want the hysterectomy, on the other I am a bit fearful that it will make my FM worse.

When I ovulate, I feel like I am in hard labor, cant walk, sit or even stand up straight. My periods are very heavy, lots of clots and lasts about 7 days. I am on the depo shot now, but I think I will not be doing that any longer. Hopefully, they can do something. Myomectomy, which is where they remove only the fibroids, or treatment with oral contraceptives is the only other options available besides the hysterectomy, if treatment is needed and I feel treatment is needed. Once this last depo shot runs out, things will go back to chaos.

My dr is setting up the gynecologist appt for me with a referral and will probably see them in the next week or two. Will keep ya posted and thanks!

4. helen41

helen41 New Member

I had fibroids and a partial hysterectomy after trying progesterone to help shrink them. I had to stop that because it caused other problems.
    I am so GLAD I had it done! I don't get up at night to go to the toilet, and I can go for hours during the day. I don't leak. My stomach shrunk. Alround, good for me.