UTI's - need some information!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kinsie, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I went for my yearly checkup with the gynocologist. I had a blood test, and a urine test before the examination.

After the examination the doctor calls you into his office to talk. He said everything looked ok - see you next year, blah blah blah.

I was on my way to the elevator, when I heard the nurse calling my name. She said they just looked at my urine test results, and that I have an infection. Why they didn't look at all the results before I left his office I don't know.

So, the doctor gave me a prescription for 3 days worth of Cipro. I have had many bladder infections, and I sure knew when I had one. But, I had no symptoms this time. Is this common?

I took the pills, and am supposed to go back later this week to see if the infection is gone.

The thing that concerns me is what my primary doctor said when I had a urine test at her office a couple of months ago. She said there is blood in your urine, but since you're going to see your gyno. next week, have him check it. I didn't see any blood.

Well, I didn't get to the gyno. for 2 more months. I should have my head examined for waiting so long. So, I guess something has been going on all this time.

Has anyone had this happen??

Kinsie
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

There is such a thing as occult blood in urine. It can only be detected with a test. It should be taken seriously and followed up. I think your primary physician should have at least expained that to you if not taken action herself. Sometimes infections show few symptoms although that is rare in UTIs. at least in my experience.

Kathy.
  3. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

I'm fairly new to the board but I've told others on this board about my long fight with kidney disease.
    By the time I was 19 I found out that I had lost all function in my left kidney due to chronic pyelonephritis which is chronic infection starting in bladder and travelling up to kidneys. I went to a urologist at age 19 for the first time because I was having trouble urinating. Was told that over the years I had recurring bladder/kidney infections while being virtually asymtomatic. As a child I often had to void much more frequently than other kids, but I didn't really question it. Had also inherited from my mother and her mother a type of kidney disease that would slowly over the years lead me to dialysis. Not there yet, thank God!!

Anyway my point being-urologist said about 3-5% of people with kidney infections do not even know it and by the time it is discovered due to other concerns the damage is already done to the kidneys. I had my left kidney removed at age 21 and have 34% function left in right kidney.
    I have chronic hematuria-blood in the urine, but it is microscopic and not visible to the eye. I continue to have infections and very rarely do I have any symptoms. Since I also have interstitial cystitis I always have frequency and burning during voiding which may hide the infections I get. I also developed a neurogenic bladder so at times I have to in and out catherize myself in order to empty my bladder-this can lead to infections also.

Your primary doc should have followed up with you on this blood in your urine. By the time 2 months went by this infection really got to take a hold on you. If you see your primary doc periodically maybe you could just ask for a U/A C&S each visit- a urinalysis with culture and sensitivity. The culture is important so doc knows which antibiotic corresponds to particular bacteria in your urine..

It may set your mind at ease to have these urine checks so you are assured that a pattern is not emerging (even if you have no symptoms). Hope this helps you out. If you need anything else feel free to call on me--believe me I'm virtually an expert now!!
    Good luck,
    Sue
  4. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Thank you so much for your replies - you told me alot I didn't know.

I thought my primary physician should have followed up on the urine test too, but I told her I was seeing my gynocologist in 2 weeks ( she shouldn't have trusted me!!) My work makes it hard sometimes for me to keep appointments. I have to do a lot of rescheduling. To tell you the truth, I didn't take it very seriously.

I am trying to call my doctor right now to have another test done to see if the antibiotics worked.

Thanks again.

Your friend,

Kinsie
    [This Message was Edited on 12/21/2005]
  5. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Yes, please follow up on this -- UTIs can get very serious if left untreated/partially treated. When the infection is in the lower UTI, it generally has a lot of symptoms. Once it moves upward, the symptoms can be a lot less noticeable, but the infection is actually more dangerous at that point.

I, too, ended up in the ER with a raging fever from a kidney infection -- this was after being sent home from the doctor without a test because I had been having frequent infections. I had been treated with antibiotics recently, and they were certain that should have cured the infection, so they concluded that I was imagining the symptoms. I took their advice, and ended up hallucinating from such a high fever...

UTIs can cause blood in the urine -- that has happened to me before -- but there could also be something else causing it.