Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, May 26, 2009.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Of note, I am 41 years old.

So my 14 YO daughter I went to Niagara Falls this Sunday (05/24) and Monday (05/25) with my sister and her 10 YO daughter. We only live 2 hours away.

The trip was great EXCEPT all the walking. The hotel was 4 blocks from the falls so we walked. Then the lines we stood in were each about 1 hour long. Then of course there was the walking to each attraction, then the walk home. There was swimming at the hotel, and then a walk back to the falls at night to see them with the lights on. - AND THIS WAS ALL JUST ON SUNDAY. I was in tears on my way to the falls Sunday night. I shouldn't have gone, but, I hadn't been on vacation in years and I thought if I just push myself, I might be okay. I would tell my sister I needed to sit down and she would say, we are only a block away, etc, etc. But when I need to sit, I need to sit NOW, not half an hour later.

Wake up on Monday morning. Can barely move. Can't go up and down stairs without really holding onto the railing or my daughter. Everything hurts. Take extra pain meds, doesn't help.
    Have trouble eating because of the pain.

I get home at 6 p.m. Monday evening and lay down to take a nap. Was supposed to work at 9 p.m. I get up at 8:30 and end up calling in sick (and I work at home too) because I couldn't move.

Needless to say, right now it is early Wednesday morning and I'm still ill, though able to work somewhat. I still can't eat and my pain has subsided about 30%.

I love the fact that my sister drove and took my daughter and I on vacation. I am not happy with the fact that she ignored my symptoms and had me press on, although, I didn't stop it now did I?
    [This Message was Edited on 05/27/2009]
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I know just how you feel. I want to be able to do things like that too but I pay big time for walking and standing as well.

I think your sister just doesn't understand. Most people don't. I'm sorry. Have you tried the Stoppain spray that you spray directly on your skin? I use it a lot for pain like that. After standing or walking I usually have to spray everywhere from the waist down then I lay down and the pain subsides a lot more quickly then without the spray.

Another thing I use is Lidocaine patches. You can use up to 3 at a time. I use one on my low back and one on each leg but they do fall off pretty easily. Someone on here described how to "tape" them on but I haven't tried that. I think you can try medical tape.

Also, hot tubs help or if you can handle a warm bath, try putting some Epsom salts in it.

I hope your pain clears up quickly and next time I'm sure you'll speak up. Oh, one more thing, I take a cane seat with me when I go places and it helps a lot. You can immediately sit wherever you need to.

Feel Better Soon,
  3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I can totally understand. You don't want to cause a fuss on vacation. I agree with Tee, most folks don't understand why we can just go one more block. That one block can seem like miles to us. I hope you start to help better soon, really warm bathes and a hot pad might help a bit.

Gentle Hugs,
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Ah, I'm sorry that you're still paying for a nice vacation with your family.
    I think what's hard is that when we say we can't walk any further - or need to sit, we really started feeling that way, long before we finally can't go any further.

Pamper yourself! Take a nice hot bath, get on some comfy clothes, use your heating pad if it helps.....REST.

Regarding the sprayon stuff - does it really work? I always wondered about that.

I hope that except for the overdoing it and having lasting pain even after the fact, that you enjoyed what you could of your mini-vacation!
  5. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I am so sorry your sister treated you this way. I know the feeling, my husband thinks i can do anything that i used to do before this DD hit me 4 years ago. I worked all weekend outside helping him with opening the pool and trimming all the landscaping and OMG i have been paying dearly for it the past 2 days and probably for a while more. I just can't do what i used to do and i wish he would understand that.

I don't even complain at all because that will just make it work. I thank God i work full time and am able to sit most of the day so i really do look forward to coming to work, except the mornings of course, but who doesn't. LOL

Good luck with your Sis Shari.
  6. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I'm sorry your not feeling well. I can relate ! Sorry your sister doesn't understand.

I helped at my son's school last week and it was supposed to be a 30 minute stand up job
    and it turned into an hour and a half ........I could barely walk let alone stand to get home after that.
    My husband asked me why I didn't sit down some , and I said have you ever served punch sitting down?

I have a cane chair and they do come in very if I could just remember to keep
    it in the car !

I've been having a terrible time in the mornings~ I hope this too will get better at least for a while would be nice.

sending gentle hugs your way, Hope you get some relief from your pain soon,

7. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I'm so sorry. I don't want to sound rude, & it's not my intention to offend your family member, but:

Although she didn't use these actual words, her message was loud & clear: "Oh, shut up about YOU & do as you're told, cuz I think you could do more if you just WANTED to! Your illness is affecting ME & MY FUN!"

Maybe, you could tell her how hurtful & downright cruel it is to send you that message, regardless of how "politely" it's actually worded.

I would be furious if a relative treated me that way!

8. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Pippi1313 - I had wondered the same thing. In the back of my head, I had a feeling that was what was going on. My mother is the least understanding of the bunch and had she gone on vacation with us, it would have been a lot worse.
  9. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I've stopped talking to most people in my life that just don't want to get it. It's their problem, not mine.

Pippi, that was excellent. You're so right. People send us these kinds of messages all the time without coming right out and saying it. I've found that if you confront them about it they deny, deny, deny. 'Cause of course, they don't want to look like mean people.

I try to educate them for awhile and then if it continues, I basically say, "See ya, wouldn't want to be ya".