VACC PROBLEMS (2 STANDARDS of CARE dogs treated better)

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by victoria, Dec 6, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

(I just added a post at the bottom of the thread, problems with the lyme vaccination for dogs if they already have it!)

Original message:

It is often stated there are 2 standards of care for Lyme, meaning the debate between the IDSA's 'guidelines' of a very short course of abx and the LLMDs long-term treatment and guidelines.

However, this article ought to give new meaning to the phrase "2 standards of care" - the dogs apparently get more abx then Lyme pts do from the very beginning! and without anybody fighting about it!!!!!

----------

Sunday, December 3, 2006

ASK DR. FOX:
    'Cured' but Not Cured
    Lyme disease can cause kidney damage if dog is not totally cleared of infection

By Dr. Michael Fox
    UNITED FEATURE SYNDICATE

Dear Dr. Fox: I have a 2-year-old female Australian shepherd mix named Josie. At 6 months of age, Josie got Lyme disease. She was placed on a high Level of antibiotics and it seemed to clear up. When she was about 15 months old, the symptoms returned, and a blood test showed that she was not rid of the disease. Another course of antibiotics helped. In both cases, the
    symptoms started at the onset of cold weather.

Our dog is on a raw, organic diet, supplemented with Brewer's yeast, flax oil, probiotics and various additional vitamins. She looks good, and she has high energy and a beautiful coat. We are a holistic family. We believe in healing from the inside and avoid medications if at all possible.

I am getting mixed messages from our veterinarian. When the antibiotics are through, he considers her cured. He says that if the symptoms return, bring her back for more antibiotics. Aren't there alternatives to antibiotics? Should we plan for a yearly episode of pain and round of medications for our
    young dog? - M.T., Middleburg, Va.

Dear M.T.: Your dog could develop kidney disease if the Lyme disease organism triggers an auto-immune reaction in the cells of her kidneys. The sooner she is cleared of infection, the better.

I would put her on a minimum of four weeks of antibiotic treatment, plus the following daily supplements - probiotics; a multivitamin supplement; and homeopathic Arsenicum, Cantharis and Thuja. Your veterinarian can advise you about appropriate dose and duration. I have an open mind about homeopathy, and some veterinarians report many benefits.

Your dog should be treated for Lyme disease every three months after successful treatment. Antibiotic therapy should continue for two weeks after resolution of clinical signs of disease.

Dear Readers: The U.S. Senate will soon be voting on Senate Bill S.1915 to prohibit the commercial slaughter of horses for their meat. Please call your senator to express support for this bill. See my article "Spare the horses: Animal Rights Revisited" at http://tedeboy.tripod.com/drmichaelwfox.

Write to Dr. Fox c/o Winston-Salem Journal, P.O. Box 3159, Winston-Salem, NC 27102 and we will forward it.
    --------------

Amazing the disconnects between vet care and human care!!!

best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 12/06/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/15/2006]
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I agree with you.
    The only real understanding I've ever received from a doctor was from a Vet.

We had taken our aging cat with kidney failure to the emergency Vet on a weekend for hydration.

The heavy traffic noise on the highway going there caused me to have a Lyme panic attack, which then went into PSVT, an abnormal heart rhythm I get from my heart damage due to Lyme.

I had to ask the Vet to use their bathroom to sit down and take my meds, and also because the adrenalin empties out my bowel when I have a PSVT attack.

I told her I was having a PSVT because I had stage III Lyme disease, and she said: "I am so sorry. I guess at this point, all that can be done is to keep you comfortable". I almost burst into tears, just from realizing she understood how seriously ill I am. My human docs are clueless.

Klutzo
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

Haven't seen you in a long time, glad to see you back.... I'm so sorry you're not doing better than you are at this point.

Have you tried HBOT? Just curious... there are a couple of discussions about it on the Cf/FM board as well as my posts on this board (I'll bump them here)...

I got really interested in it for my son since he's been on abx for 18 months and progressing so slowly. Of course, as usual, it doesn't help everyone, but there's also a recent article written by a woman who knows she has Lyme and bought her own refurbished unit -- so it was cheap(er) than a brand new one -

and when she had to have it fixed after using it daily for at least 4-5 years, she realized how much good it had done her. The month she was without it she started going downhill.

Here's the url:

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/ID/6515/T/CFIDS_FM/searchtext/healing%20chronic%20illness%20at%20home

We're allowed to give urls if it is a non-profit and/or a non-competing site... and one can (I think) always give what terms to google and which entry it is (ie, it's the 3rd one down)...

We were thinking of buying a refurbished HBOT unit ultimately if it seems to make a difference in functioning for our son and 40 treatments are not enough (the given protocol for HBOT treating Lyme). The cost for the used units seems to be $10-$15K (new is around $100K), altho I'm not sure how we'd get trained and get the oxygen as it is pure, not compressed 'air'... but we'll cross that bridge if/when we get there.

There also seems to be some evidence for it helping at lower pressures and maybe compressed air, altho the textbook says that Lyme is an aerobic bacteria, so higher pressures have to be used in order to kill it. So that part is a bit confusing at this point...

I remember reading -- I think -- you also tried neurofeedback and it helped you cognitively, but you had to keep going to maintain benefits...

I wonder if there's equipment now that's reasonable that you could buy on your own in order to keep using it more cheaply? We also looked into that as my husband's area was physiological psych. and used biofeedback in clinical practice... but doing the HBOT first... and neurofeedback is not a cure, as you know, unfortunately.

all the best,
    Victoria

4. victoria

victoria New Member

There were problems with the human vaccine... now apparently there are problems with the dogs' vaccine...

http://www.nbc10.com/money/10329381/detail.html

PET VACCINE CAUSES CONTROVERSY

POSTED: November 15, 2006 UPDATED: November 16, 2006

Seeing your pet sick is heartbreaking. Many people turn to vaccines to protect their pets. But, some say one pet vaccine may do more harm than good.

The Gozzards thought they were doing what was best for their pet, Peanut. But now they think a vaccine is what ultimately took their dog from them.

Peanut was part of the Gozzard Family for years.

"People laugh at me, because I say she was like another mother to the kids, but we had her when we first got married. So, even before we had kids, she was part of the family," said Ann Gozzard.

Peanut got sick last spring. Gozzard said it was within hours of getting a vaccination for Lyme disease.

"It was really sad and last Monday we just knew, that was it. She had given up. She had stopped eating, wouldn't take her medicine and we knew that, that was it," said Gozzard.

Dogs, like humans, get Lyme disease from the deer ticks that hang out in local parks and wooded areas. Most dogs exposed to Lyme disease never become ill. If they do, symptoms include lameness and swollen joints. The disease is treatable, but never leaves the animal's system. There is a test for exposure, but there's a debate over whether dogs should get the vaccine, even if they've been exposed.

For Gozzard, there's no debate.

"We didn't find out until the next morning that she had a low dose of Lyme disease already. So therefore, the vaccination was given on top of that and that's what made her so sick," said Gozzard.

The vaccine for Lyme disease has been controversial since it came out. Even experts disagree.

"There are people who fear that the vaccine may in fact incite a certain kind of disease. Others feel the vaccine is protective, that many dogs can be prevented from having lyme disease," veterinarian, Dr. Moyer, said.

One factor in making your decision is figuring out how likely it is your dog will be exposed to deer ticks. Talk to your vet.

"Find out what the rate of occurrence is. Again in my practice, it's between
    15 to 25 percent and I can tell you, it's dogs who go to parks," Moyer said.

The Gozzard family said, knowing what they know now, they would have made a different decision.

"Just do your homework like you would if it was your children going to the pediatrician and hopefully everything will turn out all right," Gozzard said.

NBC 10 contacted the makers of the Lyme disease vaccines on the market. They said the vaccine is safe for pets and that they have the research to prove it. They also said the controversy over Lyme disease vaccination is based out of fear and not science. We also contacted the vet who treated Peanut. He also said the vaccine is safe and continues to recommend it to his clients.