Vaccine For Shingles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Studies have shown a new vaccine for Shingles has reduced the severity and pain of outbreaks by more than 60 percent. It is thought that the vaccine will prevent Shingles in people over the age of 60, those most likely to get them, and in people with compromised immune systems.

The vaccine is a strong version of the Chicken Pox vaccine. It will likely get FDA approval in 2006. One doc in the study says he would give the vaccine to all his patients who are at risk for the Shingles.

If a person has not had Chicken Pox, he or she cannot take the vaccine. I wonder how well things like AV's, TF's, and zappers prevent Shingles outbreaks. I would hate to take any vaccine these days but if this works as well as the studies show, it might be well worth it.

BTW, I got this info from our local NBC affiliate. I don't know whether this was from a national feed or a local story. That's the problem with multi-tasking; one only listens with one ear.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Mikie, I had the Chicken Pox when I was 7, I think. I hear that Shingles is extremely painful and lasts a long time. David Letterman was talking about having it around his head the other night.

I don't get the flu shot anymore, but I would think about getting this vaccine if my insurance would cover it.

I had all the childhood diseases. The last one I got was the Mumps. I was a teen then. (Am 55 now...)

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The virus which causes Chicken Pox is in the Herpes Family. These viruses never go away; they just lie dormant. The virus which causes Chicken Pox goes dormant in nerve cells. It can reactivate into Shingles decades later, usually after the age of 60. Because the virus settles in the nerves, it can be extremely painful. New durgs really work well if one can get them at the onset of the Shingles.

I think it would be even better if one could prevent the reactivation of the virus which causes Shingles. It can be so painful that people cannot even stand clothing. I would hate to get Shingles. My Mom's best friend had a breakout and I visited her. I didn't get Shingles, but I got very sick with an immune reaction and Herxed. I'm very glad my own immune system took over and put the virus back into latency. I don't think it's safe for those of us with CFIDS to be around anyone with shingles. My doc didn't think so either.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But the higher dose is. It has been used for Chicken Pox in children for some time. It is not yet approved at the higher dose for adults to prevent Shingles.

Yes, stress is the worst thing for just about every illness. When we are stressed or run down is when these Herpes Viruses reactivate. I think cold sores are the best example. They are also in the Herpes Virus Family. Many women get them monthly during the menstral cycle. Others get them from going out in the sun. Many people get them whenever they are sick with a viral bug. Stress brings on Shingles in others.

I probably wouldn't be the first in line to get the vaccine, but I would consider it.

Love, Mikie
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

hi mikie.

i had shingles at the tender age of just turning 40. in february this i got shingles on my sciatica on my bum area. i think since i am so reaitively young for getting shingles. i will get the vaccine if i can. i am still having problems with the shingles. ouch1

i hope our getting some rest now,

jodie
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

a rare place.It took 2 doctors to figure it out.It was early enough that I waS ABLE TO STOP it.THey told me if it crept even 1/2 to go straight to the hospital as that could make me go blind.I 'd take it for sure!
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It does help to get early treatment for them but for some, they are the dickens to get rid of.

I had to take Famvir prior to facial surgery. The doc told me that a person could go blind if a cold sore were coming on and the virus was spread to the eyes (I had an eyelid lift).

I went into a temporary complete remission while on the Famvir. That is when my other doc and I decided I should take it for whatever Herpes Family Virus(es) were likely causing a chronic stealth infection. The likely culprits are EBV, CMV, and HHV-6.

HHV-6 is very difficult to get under control. Transfer Factors seem to do a better job than AV's on it. I switched to TF's and they seem to be working well. I now pulse them only every six weeks or a couple of days. They always produce a Herx.

Love, Mikie
  9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

on his torso, luckily they werent as painful for him as they are for some people, maybe because of his age. He still has the marks three months on.

I think he got them because he had mumps two months before that, there was an outbreak of mumps in UK those between 19 and 23 who hadnt been immunised (they missed out when the government started immunising pre-school kids, they were already at school) - go figure!

I'm scared of vaccines too, last time I got the flu vaccine, two years ago, I had a relapse that lasted 6 months.

Rosie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In the news story of any adverse reactions to the vaccine. It was given to older people who had Shingles. I would assume that their immune systems were not working well and/or they were overly stressed. My Mother's friend, who had the Shingles, got them right after her sister's death.

I'm thinking that this vaccine might be safe for me. On the other hand, my immune system really went into high gear after I was exposed to her. I never knew Shingles could make another sick but my doc said I should stay away from anyone with Shingles. After the reaction I had and the big Herx, I believe him.

Love, Mikie