Vacuum cleaner suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lin-z, Jan 19, 2006.

1. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I have a very hard time keeping my small house clean due to pain but I would love to know if anyone has found a vacuum cleaner that is comfortable to use and actually works.

I have tried several and have not found ONE that is easy to use. I have a couple of the cordless uprights and they really dont get my aussies hair off anything not to mention my cats hair. Any advice??
  2. darude

darude New Member

I'm looking for a new one too. I have vacuflow but doesn't work properly. Also have a couple of uprights but very heavy.
  3. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I've heard Dirt Devils are lightweight and work well. You may want to browse the web and compare shipping weights and reviews.

I'd love to have one of those that are robotic that wander around the floor and clean it (look like little spaceships!).

I also heard that when doing the floor, walk with the vacuum, don't push it with one arm and pull back.

Maybe a lightweight canister type vacuum that you could set on the furniture to get hair off? I just wouldn't want to drag it around.

Good luck and here's to a clean house!
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Very light and does a great job. It works for me.

Sue
  5. lin-z

lin-z New Member

Ive heard these are good do you have a specific model? thanks so much
  6. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I have a VERY small area to clean as we are living in a travel trailer right now. I purchased a cordless Eureka and love it. We have a chow/lab mix, and it picks up our furry loves hair just fine. I bought it after I saw a waitress use one to vacuum an area where a baby had been in the high chair. I couldn't believe how thoroughly it cleaned up the mess! It's also so easy to store. In addition, it is not an expensive item.
  7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I think you can order one either on line or by phone and they sometimes throw in other things like a cordless vacuum, iron, etc. They are a bit pricy, but surely do a good job of cleaning and are not heavy. I have to take mine up and down stairs. That's why I bought it...couldn't lug the old one around anymore.

Sue
  8. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

and he has that little robot vacuum that runs by itself. He said he still needs to use a regular vacuum once in awhile but at least it pick up the daily cat hair and lint. I dont know how much it cost.

There are also new vacuums that are advertised that they weigh only 7 pounds, so maybe something like that my help
    Laura
  9. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I'm wondering if John Deer makes a riding one, with a heated seat?

S
  10. yuckie

yuckie New Member

Oreck XL, they are light weight (less than a gallon of milk) and have a great filter that prevents the dust and dirt from circulating when you vacuum. They are a bit expensive but as the other poster said, they throw in a great canister vacuum and and iron, etc, etc. Good luck.
  11. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

My best buy was not a vacuum but a rechargable carpet sweeper; it's very light & easy to push. It really keeps the muck at bay used every day,& picks up my hair after the home hairdresser's cut it,although the carpets still need the occasional deep clean with a vacuum.

Good luck with whatever you buy lin!
  12. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I now have alot of research to do and thanks for the suggestions. zzz..if John Deere doesnt make one why dont you offer them the idea and make a fortune!!!

I actually would like a vacuum fairy to come at night when i'm sleeping (yea right) but I dont believe that is realistic. Again I appreciate the suggestions and would love even more of them.
    Lindsey
  13. MKlady

MKlady New Member

Check out the Roomba at irobot dot com. We run ours at night and it's just like having a vacuum fairy!!
  14. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

I would NOT recommend a Dyson Animal.

I saved and saved till I had the $500 for that thing. I have allergies and at the time, had 3 cats and I have a very hairy Australian Shepherd dog inside. I was so excited!

I have low napth carpet, that was actually commercial carpet. It's not plush.

The Dyson has SO MUCH suction, I could not use it because it was to hard to pull and push. It would have worn me out to do just one room. I can't imagine how hard it would be if you had a plush carpet!

I took it back. Sears gave me a very hard time about it. I ended up with a self propelled Hoover wind tunnel and am very happy. I can push and pull it with one finger it is so easy.
  15. scrapkat

scrapkat New Member

whatever you do DO NOT get a Dirt Devil. We bought one of the expensive ones and it is crap and has been since day 1. It burns belts like crazy. My MIL has the same problem with her DD but her's is a different model.

concerning the Dyson Animal - other than the heaviness, did it pick up the cat hair good? DH does our vacuuming and he is thinking of one of these. Thanks.

scrapkat
  16. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

yes, the Dyson was awesome for cleaning the hair. The attachment for furniture and stairs has a rotating brush that has amazing suction. Just be careful if a cat walks by - I think it might just be able to suck the cat up! Just kidding.... but it really was great. I tried it for a week - I had a Fantom Thunder before that which was pretty good. But the Dyson was better.

The one I had was not the new one with the large ball it rotates on that's supposed to make it turn easier. It was the standard type.

The Hoover, though, is almost as good. Was less expensive, and is so much easier to push around.

Jules
  17. sues1

sues1 New Member

Some time ago my hubby talked me into getting an Oreck, because of my Fibro and Cfids. Not a bad sweeper at all, and so light.

The one thing I like best is the side brush.........cleans right up to the floor edge.......no build up of dust or animal hair there.

I had a man that repaired sweepers and had a small shop where he also sold them. He said that the Dirt Devil is the one most likely to break down and he gets more of them in to fix then any other brand.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/19/2006]
  18. JLH

JLH New Member

because they are advertised to weigh only 8 lbs., but can't bring myself to pay $400-$500 for one!

The main feature to get on an upright sweeper is to make sure it is SELF-PROPELLED!!!!!!!

This is what makes the difference in whether or not you can push and pull a sweeper!

My hubby bought me some type of GE Bagless which really sucks out the dirt like crazy, but it's not self-propelled and I can't use it!

I'm going to invest in a self-propelled one soon -- they are more expensive, but still not as much as an Oreck, I think.
  19. CinCA

CinCA New Member

My husband got one for me last year (think he got it for less as it was "reconditioned") and thought I would be so excited. It is very cute...purple and aqua or some such colors (I don't know...I barely ever vacuum...I'm too tired or frazzled). It seems to work well, but the attachment hose is bulky, and I get frustrated, esp. trying to vacuum out the cheerios and sand (from school) our daughter perpetually gets in our car. When I do vacuum (or do any chore), I try to just focus on one room for one day. I can usually manage to handle one room...the whole house is completely overwhelming.

The Roomba sounds really cool...that's what I need, as it's all I can do to stay on top of dishes and laundry these days. Plus, we have a cat, although she fortunately doesn't shed much. It is a little out of our price range, though, but maybe hubby can look for a reconditioned one of those, too, that we can afford.

Good luck shopping!
  20. lin-z

lin-z New Member

It sounds like from most of these responses that the term "good vacuum" is most definitely an oxymoron. I did look up the Oreck and found one for I guess between 3-400 with free shipping. Looks promising.

Side note I apologize I cant remember who wrote this about her hairy australian shepherd but I have one too and is the main reason for the need to vacuum twice a day (i dont do that tho). I wake up in the morning and her hair on the carpet looks like a small animal...amazing. Love her tho but what a pain in the butt...literally.

Oreck is still looking like the winner!!!