Vaginal Birth v. C-Section

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ramos, Aug 20, 2003.

1. ramos

ramos New Member

Hello All!

I am fairly new to this site, but not to CFS, which I have had for over 3 years. I gave birth via C-section to my first child 14 months ago due to failure to progress. I was 8 days overdue, started on Pitocin, had an epidural at 3 centimeters, at 5 centimeters and 14 hours later developed a fever and a C-section was performed. I was so disappointed and found the recovery period brutal. I still have not recovered to where I was prior to birth. With that said, we are unexpectedly pregnant again -- 16 weeks.

Emotionally, I would love to have a vaginal birth, but my question is which is physically easier to recover from, vaginal or C-section? My predominant concern about giving birth vaginally is, will I have enough energy and stamina? Also, I suffer very easily from post-exertional malaise. How long will it take my body to bounce back? I am very curious to hear from those of you who have experience. Thank you for your input.
  2. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I had both my children vaginally, and was up and around immediately. Having had surgery, I'm awfully glad I didn't have a C-Section, though I couldn't have intercourse for a couple of weeks and it hurt to for several months afterward (early fibro?). So I guess it depends! But to me that's preferable than the infection/shock-to-the-body risks of a surgery. Another consideration is which type of recovery will allow you to better care for your children - it seems to me that not being able to pick up heavy things until your C-section has healed would be a problem.
  3. Hippen

Hippen New Member

The reason being...our bodies are meant to deliver babies that way...we are not meant to have our bellies cut...ouch!! I think our body will heal faster from something that is meant to happen not something that is inflicted on us. Just my opinion.... I have only had one child...by c-section. Congratulations on the pregnancy!!! Love, Hippen
  4. jacqui_k

jacqui_k New Member

I've had 4 vaginal births and 2 c-sections.All the vaginal births involved stitches, but I would still strongly recommend going the natural way, as the recovery is quicker , and also less chance of infections and complications afterbirth.

Here in Israel we have large famillies and I can say in all honesty that not one of my friends who have had both proceedures would opt for a c-section because of the slower recovery time.

Hope this helps,
    All the best ,
    Jacqui
  5. Ipegasus

Ipegasus New Member

In my case, I had tried for a natural birth and almost killed my daughter. I ended up in an emergency C-Section and she survived.
    I tried to have a natural delivery on my second delivery and it was terrible. I was in terrible pain and still there was no way I could have delivered him natually. I also never had a baby drop before labor, so my FM could have been more severe even in my early 20's. After eight hours of hard labor, my best friend and the nurse finally convinced the dumb doctor that I had to have a C-Section.
    So when I was pregnant with my third child, I got a female physician and had a C-Section. Yes, recovery is hard but not everyone can deliver babies naturally. I was told from the beginning that I had narrow hips and could not deliver a baby over 7lbs, which all of my children were. The first two had heads in the 90 percentile so there was no way I could have delivered them naturally. Sad but Dr.s cannot tell you exactly how big your baby is going to be even though they like to guess. All of mine were wrong.
    My choice was if I was going to be ripped from on side to the other, I would rather go with a C-section. Recovery wasn't that bad except when I had my tubal ligation, then, and I think my FM was the cause, I was in agony but do I regret it? No way!
    So it is individual I guess. It really depends on your bone structure and how bad your pain is. I remember I had back pain and front pain, I didn't know the difference, yet I also didn't suffer the gut wrenching screaming of trying to pull something out that was not going to move either. C-Section are really safe. I think most of the risk is with emergency C-Sections, I have a nice hook scar thanks to my second C-section which was another emergency C-sec. The doctor was overwhelmed, he talked about yanking my son out with tongs, he hadn't even crowned I said no way was my baby going to have scars from his trying to yank out my baby. It would have been a nightmare.
    I had to have three epidermal shots to avoid the pain, nothing like trying to stay still when your contraction are two minites apart. So maybe a second opinion could be obtained? It is really personal. It was nice to have a stress free delivery though and to go to the hospitol at a decent hour. I had a lot of fake contractions so I was glad to go in and just have my baby without complication.

Good luck, read alot,

Pegasus
  6. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I had similar complications to yours during my first birth, epidural at 3 centimeters, high fever and then caesarean. One thing I discovered from being in labor is that my energy was totally depleted just dealing with the contractions. I would have had no energy to try to push a baby out vaginally.

Once I understood what labor was like for me, I asked for and received a PLANNED caesarean delivery of twins four years later. I really have no muscles to speak of, and I probably would have ended up pushing for two hours and then having to have a caesarean anyway.

I would suggest that you evaluate your overall strength and stamina. For those of us who are "wimpy", it is actually easier to lie there and have somebody cut us open than to struggle futilely with something that is beyond our ability. Although I know the recovery time is horrible, and can speak to that first-hand. I was so envious of the woman in the bed next to me. She had a vaginal birth (her SIXTH), and was sitting up in bed and putting makeup on 3 hours after giving birth. I was lying prone with a catheter in 3 days after giving birth. I just stared at her like she was some kind of alien. She was on the phone complaining about how "the old uterus was not the same as it used to be," LOL.

Hippo
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

I highly recommend trying a vaginal delivery, to see if it will work for you. I had all three of my now grown kids that way.

The first, unfortunately, was not a natural birth due to the backwards thinking of my doc. By the time I discovered his thinking and realized I really did want to try a natural birth, it was too late to change docs.

For my next two I had no meds except for the episiotomy. All my kids were big babies, ranging from 9# 4 oz. to 10 # 3 oz., and they all had large heads, but I wouldn't have changed anything for the world.

My labors were long, 12 hours with my second and 15 with my third, who was also my smallest. However being awake for the whole thing and being able to get up and out of bed as soon as I wished made it worth it.

One thing I found especially helpful was having help at home when I came home. With my third I didn't even go downstairs for a week. By then I was feeling well and was able to resume carpool duties, etc. without too much trouble.

Whatever you end up doing, having a healthy baby is what really matters.

Barbara
  8. darlamk

darlamk New Member

We had twins almost 23 years ago and because our daughter was breech had to have a section with a "classical" incision (vertical) Because of this my next delivery was also a c section. I know your physician will advise you as to what will be the safest for you. I think the trend has been to have vag delivery whenever possible. It is much safer for both mom and baby. Good luck and try not to worry about it - you have lots of time to prepare! I worked almost 23 years with neonatal and peds babies and miss them so! I pray you will have strength and stamina and enjoy your newest miracle!
    Take care,
    Darla