Valerian for sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by roberta, Sep 11, 2002.

1. roberta

roberta New Member

Does anyone out there use valerian for sleep? I have been taking 0.5 of klonopin for sleep for two years but is not working anymore and don't want to up dose. Rheumy added Sonoma but it didn't help at all. Friend suggested valerian root so got a bottle of capsules and have tried it a few nights. The first night it seemed to work but since then I have not slept hardly at all and when I do I have very vivid dreams and nightmares. Was wondering if valerian might be the cause. Have also stopped klonopin so could that be it. I'm desperate for a good nights sleep. The pain and fatigue is much worse.
  2. roberta

roberta New Member

Does anyone out there use valerian for sleep? I have been taking 0.5 of klonopin for sleep for two years but is not working anymore and don't want to up dose. Rheumy added Sonoma but it didn't help at all. Friend suggested valerian root so got a bottle of capsules and have tried it a few nights. The first night it seemed to work but since then I have not slept hardly at all and when I do I have very vivid dreams and nightmares. Was wondering if valerian might be the cause. Have also stopped klonopin so could that be it. I'm desperate for a good nights sleep. The pain and fatigue is much worse.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Most people have great results with Valerian, have you tired the Valerian with PassionFlower and Hops?

Personally it does not agree with me, I will sleep, but I wake up with an awesome headache!

I did have vivid dreams when taking it.

As for the Klonopin most have good results with that too.

I take low dose Xanax (0.25 milligrams) at 6pm

2 capsules of ZMA at 10pm

1 (3 milligrams) of Melatonin right before bed.

Yes, this is a pain, but I do sleep at least 7-8 hours, a deep sleep, since taking the ZMA.

Hope this helps, sleeping is so important for us.

The ZMA is sold now at Pro Health if you are interested. So is the combination Valerian, and the Melatonin.

Good luck!

Shalom, Shirl
  4. sybil

sybil New Member

i tried it.
    it got me off to sleep,but staying asleep is my problem and valerian didn't stop me from waking up 2hours later in pain,
    but it could work for you,

sybilxxx
  5. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I take Valerian Root for sleep & sometimes it works and other times, like tonight, it doesn't, even with 100 mg. of Benedryl in me. I usually use it for back spasms. I used to be on a ton of meds, but after awhile none work, so I'm trying to keep it with things that are over the counter. It seems as though they work as well as the prescribed meds did for me. Sometimes they do & sometimes they don't. Good luck. dolsgirl