Valium and Grapefruit????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tsj62301, Mar 29, 2003.

1. tsj62301

tsj62301 New Member

I was just perscribed valium yesterday for muscle spasms and it says on the side of the bottle to avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice. I have read on several sights that there is some mild toxic risk. Is there anyone out there that can help me with this. Im wondering if it is something like being on other things and limiting alcohol intake? I don't know i just like to have a grapefruit for breakfast a couple times a week. (been taking the valium for 24 hours now and have seen no change in my muscles.)

Thank you for being out there and listening
    Tess
  2. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Yep, NO grapefruit! Something in grapefruit juice doesn't let the medication break down right the way it should somehow, it can increase the effects of it or give you some bad side effects from what I remember reading.
    Quite a few meds that you can't take with grapefruit...just a few that I know of are Buspar, Valium, & Xanax.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is in the same family of drugs as Vallium, although it is an antiseizure benzo and not a tranquilizer. I have not had this warning on the Klonopin. I have heard that grapefruit juice can react badly with some meds though.

Love, Mikie
  4. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

Isn't this interesting. I have never anything about this but then again I don't eat grapefruit either, too much acid in it for me. I know the medication works great for me though. Thanks for the heads up.......Pam
  5. KayL

KayL New Member

My husband is on cholesterol lowering meds, and one of them specifically warns against consuming grapefruit or the juice while taking the med.

I'm too foggy to remember the specific reasoning behind it, but apparently grapefruit has/does *something* that interracts unfavorably with a lot of meds.

Karen
  6. tsj62301

tsj62301 New Member

oh and to mikie it said in the medication description that valium is also used for seizures just to let you know. If you all find anything else food wise that interacts please let me know. thanks to all and all my prayers to you also.
    Tess