Valium for pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monica33flowers, Jun 23, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I was wondering do any of you take Valium for pain?

I recently had neck surgery and they gave me Valium to help with the neck spasms ect. But I have found that it also is helping with my migraines since I can no longer take any anti-anflamatories.

What is the difference with Valium and Vicodin? Is one stronger than the other, does one work differently? I would call my dr. but he is out of town on vacation.

Thanks!
  2. spacee

spacee Member

Some of our more knowledgeable people will be posting a better answer but basically Valium is a tranquilizer and Vicodin is a pain killer.

Xanax (which is a tranquilizer too) knocks out my migraines. A lot of docs don't like to prescribe these because they can be addictive. I have taken them for 22 years and take less now then when I first got sick. But other's are different.

It is a great relief to me to not have sick headaches.

spacee
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

I use Valium on occasion and it relaxes my muscles and therefore I have less pain and stiffness
  4. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Valium is a muscle relaxer, it will help with the pain when it comes from spasms. A lot of times headaches come from muscle spasms and it would help with that.

Vicoden is for pain. It does not help with spasms. I take Vicoden for pain and Soma for muscle spasms, but use Valium if the spasms are bad.

M J
  5. joanng

joanng New Member

I agree exactly with Mjwarchol. My doctor gave me Valium to take instead of my muscle relaxors especially at work. My muscle relaxors are too strong and would put me to sleep. If I get a spasm at work, I take a valium and I won't get too sleepy. Good luck!
  6. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Hi,

My cardio doc seems to think Valium is sure-fire for pain. He wants me to come in for a heart catheterization, "we'll give you a Valium and go in and take a look around" is how he puts it and, when I said no and that I already have 24/7 pain, I take Valium and it doesn't do a thing for pain.

He still thinks it works for pain and hasn't stopped trying to get me to accept the procedure.
    I've even reminded him about the statement in the Patient Bill of Rights that any patient has the right to refuse any offered course of treatment...he doesn't like that.

So, I asked him if I could be asleep during the procedure. "We don't do it that way," he snapped. "Then you won't do it at all on me" was my reply.

I just don't understand how drs can't get it that we have enough pain already. We have to obey them and they don't seem to care.
    At most recent appt, my current dr demanded I go get a mammogram.

I've heard that people who are not totally dependent on MediCare/MedicAid can ask for and get a thing called breast sonogram.
    M/M will not cover the sonogram. Why??

Lea.
  7. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Valium is a muscle relaxer/anxietymedication and it does help with pain.I Was so angry when doctor put me on this,thinking he thought I was crazy.Well to my surprise it helped my entire back area. I only stayed on it like 4 months.

Both are addictive but I heard valium is dangerous to stop after years of use. I only took 1 at bedtime and didn't have many problems quitting.The only thing is about 1 year later the pain is back.It did help even after I stopped. Ruthie
  8. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

"at most recent appt, my current dr demanded I go get a mammogram.

I've heard that people who are not totally dependent on MediCare/MedicAid can ask for and get a thing called breast sonogram. M/M will not cover the sonogram. Why??"

Hi, I don't know anything about Valium or Vicodine. But I had a comment about the mammogram which I just had done today.

Those machines were designed by men so therefore they should be used to screen MEN for prostate cancer. Let's see how they like having their sensitive bits squished between two cold plates.

Put me in a pain event. Sigh...

Marti