valium??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by janana, Sep 11, 2003.

1. janana

janana New Member

Has anyone been prescribed valium?? I took 5 mg had from my MRI and it was the first time in along time I had NO pain and was truly relaxed! Been taking Serax but its not working as well anymore. And the Ambien has lost its effect too. Guesss its time to talk to doc about changing meds. Thanks for any imput. Janana
  2. anthonyDM

anthonyDM New Member

Janana:

I just replied to a question about muscle relaxers above, as my doctor prescribes generic valium, called diazepam, to control severe muscle cramps and restless leg syndrome. It is very effective, but I use it only 2-3 times a week at most. It helps with the sleep and also seems to help reduce the pain (I don't know how it does that). The generic brand is very, very inexpensive. I take 10 mg.

God Bless you!

Ant
  3. Tunes

Tunes New Member

Hi Jan,

I've taken Valium for years. It was first prescribed when I was a teen, for pain in the chest. Doctor said it was nerves. Throughout these years, there have been times when I haven't needed it and didn't take any. Kind of an off and on again type thing for years.

Of more recent years, have been on 5mg 3x a day. I now rarely take as prescribed (maybe that's a no no), but do know that it helps greatly with muscle spasms when needed, and in some ways eleviates certain degrees of pain. Also helps with the restless legs from time to time. Anxiety and panic attacks as well.

There have been some posts on the message board, about Valerian. I have tried that when I got an anxiety attack just recently, and I must say .. it helped.

As for sleep, the valium doesn't do much for me. I've been using Valerian for that. For whatever amount of sleep I may get, the Valerian seems to foster a more restful sleep vs a drugged sleep.

Take care,
    Tunes

4. janana

janana New Member

I am worrried about dependentcy but cant live with the pain. It didnt really help me go to sleep but I was so relaxed Ambien worked better and I noticed I felt alot better today. Alot less pain. I slept a few more hrs too. Am trying melotonin w/valerian but havnt noticed anything yet. Sleep is pretty dreadful at this time. Janana
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are in the same family even though the Klonopin is an antiseizure med and the Valium is a tranquilizer. I believe both relieve pain.

Klonopin also helps me sleep, greatly diminishes my sensory overload, muscle spasms, and tinnitus, and has done away with my anxiety/panic attacks. For me, Klonopin has been a miracle.

Love, Mikie
  6. janana

janana New Member

will push to get my doc to prescribe it!! Thanks janana'
  7. janana

janana New Member

Mikie,
    My doc did prescribe Klonopin for sleeping but Im wondering how often people take it. I need something for pain during the day too. Doc said it is very sedating. Any suggestions?? Im having to take 20mg of Serax to get any relief, 2.5 to 5 mg of valium takes pain away. Thanks Janana'
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The dose of Klonopin taken during the daytime is greatly reduced. I usually take 1 1/2 tablets at night for sleep. During the day, I slip 1/4 of a tablet under my tongue for sensory overload or anxiety a couple of times mid-morning and mid-afternoon. At that dose, it does not make me sleepy but rather calm and able to focus better.

Love, Mikie
  9. janana

janana New Member

Mikie,
    does it help with the pain of spasms??? Janana
  10. janana

janana New Member

Mikie,
  11. janana

janana New Member

Mikie,
  12. janana

janana New Member

Mikie,
  13. janana

janana New Member

Mikie,
  14. janana

janana New Member

sorry sbout the duplicate question! PC problems! janana
  15. suz41

suz41 New Member

Hi Janana:

In response to your post to asking about spasms, Klonopin which was originally relased for the treatment of seizures does have a relaxing effect on the muscles. It is often prescribed for restless Leg syndrome and Myoclonus (Jumping/Twitching muscles that usually occurs at night. it also does help with anxiety, however it can create dependency issues as it is classified in the benzodiazepine family. It has a very long half life 54 hours so it stays in your system along time. Talk to your doctor to see if it would work better for you. However, once you start on it you cannot discontiune suddenly or you will have withdrawl side effects. Ihave been on Konopin for aprox 17 years for seizures and it does help with the FM symptoms at night. Hope this was helpful.

Suz.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I no longer have the horrible spasms and cramps in my toes and legs which used to plague me, especially at night. I cannot believe how much the Klonopin helps me. I was very wary of taking a drug of this caliber, but it has helped me so very much. I do not think I would have gotten this much better without it.

BTW, you can click on Delete to get rid of the extra posts. They do slow down the board. I have noticed today that the board is a little slow off and on. When it is slow, people tend to keep clicking on Post This Reply. Every time we click on it, it posts a duplicate of the reply. I've done this myself without even realizing it :)

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]