Valtrex Report

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gettingwell, Jun 18, 2008.

1. gettingwell

gettingwell New Member

I found this testimonial on a random website. I thought you might want to read it.

Subj: Valtrex for fibromyalgia and Chronic fatigue syndrome
    Date: 7/13/2005
    I have been taking Valtrex as needed for over two years now for fibromyalgia and Chronic fatigue syndrome and it has done a fantastic job of getting me almost back to normal. I would recommend this to anyone with those two illnesses before they get on the usual doctor medication plan of pain pills and anti-depressants. A person I tried to get to do this, just recently died of an overdose of pain medication.
  2. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

it seems like you've had a lot of questions lately.

I haven't read all of your posts but if no one suggested it, consider using the 'Search' box above 'ProHealth's ME/CFS Messageboard....." using the terms 'Valtrex' or 'Valcyte' or any other terms you find intersting.

There's a lot written in the past about those antivirals and many other things. Sometimes, people are simply too tired to re-post again about a topic covered before.
  3. gettingwell

gettingwell New Member

I totally understand. I'm actually not Vicky :) That's just the name of the person who wrote the testimonial.

Yes, I am full of questions recently. I hope I'm not too annoying!

4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hello. i have searched the web with a fine tooth comb for years looking for posts about CFS and antivirals. i have also come across 1 or 2 saying that valtrex "cured" them. i also saw one from someone who had CFS for a very very long time and claims that her symptoms resolved after 6 years of famivir use.

it appears there were probably a few doctors aside from lerner who privately tried antivirals on their patients over the years..

5. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I have been helped by acyclovir - an old antiviral.

i would stay away from valcyte until the research is over and the data compiled. sounds horrible.

i never had one hour of bad feelings on acyclovir so i am very happy.

better cognitive function as well.

6. gettingwell

gettingwell New Member

Is the drug you're taking related to Valtrex? It sounds familiar to me.

Do you have high EBV and HHV6?

Thanks so much for your input.

7. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

How do you get your doc to prescribe it for you? I am afriad to walk in and tell my doc about this and that. I have told them I have been doing a lot of research on this. I am just trying to find a way to stop the pain and have a somewhat normal life. I don't think that is too much to ask for.
  8. gettingwell

gettingwell New Member

I would think that only a CFS literate doctor would prescribe the drug - although if you have an understanding doctor and bring in some literature, perhaps he/she would consider it.
  9. stschn

stschn New Member

I'd take in a copy of the Valcyte trial report to my doctor and request the test that Dr. M asked for to see if the drug was appropiate in your case. I know that Dr.M. has alot of concern abount people given the drug when the viral titers weren't there. I know the drug helped me in several ways but it sure isn't a walk in the park and the viral subset of CFS are the only ones that may benefit.