Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leaknits, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Would someone please set me straight on this Valtrex and Valcyte use?

I keep seeing commercials about both, and the quiet voice-over says something about "not to be used if immune system is compromised..." It seems a lot of valtrex/valcyte users post messages about how it whams their bodies.

Dang, if we don't have compromised immune systems, how come we're so sick??

I'm stickin' with my GSE. It's getting to where I don't mind the taste which is sort of like biting into a guess what, grapefruit seed. The stuff is WORKing; lymphs are not sore and swollen, no daily sore throat, sinuses are starting to behave properly.

The commercials, though, are awfully persuasive. I want to live the nice life pictured...walking on a beach, having fun, all that stuff...but first I think I'll take another nap. :).

2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i think the doctors who are prescribing the antivirals believe that it is the herpes viral infections that are suppressing and compromising the immune system.

3. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

on Valcyte as its use is fairly reserved and NOT something that the drug manufacturers would expect most people (not talking about the folks here with CFS) to ask their docs directly for (that's why direct-to-consumer ads are used).

There are definitely TV ads about Valtrex (valacyclovir) or acyclovir as herpes simplex 1 and 2 (oral/ genital herpes) are very common in the general population.

And I would second what Ladybugmandy wrote except HSV 1/2 not as immunosuppressive as herpes 6. All drugs have side effects and these need to be considered/ monitored when taking them of course.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2008]
  4. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

And thank you for the replies! At this stage in the game I'll take all the input I can get.