Valtrex

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by heathnicole, Apr 5, 2006.

1. heathnicole

heathnicole New Member

Has anyone had successful treatment with Valtrex?
    I took 1 grm 3 times a day for about 3 mnths and no difference.
    Any info would be great!
    Thanks so much :)
    Heather
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

are you taking this for genital herpes? some people i have heard take this for shingles....

so i thought the shingles would be stil acting up which it can for months and months and years...'

iknow gential herpes is a lifetime things as well...

but i have known people that only had the one outbreak and that is it...

i would contact your dr...or planned parenthood clinic...

jodie
  3. jane32

jane32 New Member

That is how much I am taking for my EBv...not sure but I think my fevers came down a little. I did herx quite bad on it every time I dosed up so I guess it was doing something.. Do you go to the FFC?

I will be curious to see my bloodwork on my ebv numbers now.
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

I took valtrex as one of the first steps in fighting CFS/FMS. I took 1gr 3xd like you but for 6 months. After that I switched to famvir to make sure we hit everything we could.

Once I finished with the rx anti-virals I switched to Transfer Factors (specific to EBV), whey protein concentrate and colostrum. All in all, I treated the infection aspect of our illness for 1 1/2 years.

I didn't really notice any big event taking place while on the anti-virals. I did have a herx response after I started the TF's-whey-colostrum though.

I think I was just over-run with infectious stuff when I started valtrex. It was only able to knock the numbers done alittle bit.

By the time I switched to TF's my system was ready to take over, thus causing the big die off. In any event, I think the combination of both treatments will have the strongest effect.

Hope this helps ....

Elsa

PS Valtrex and Famvir are regularly rx'ed for CFS. They are another example of off-label use of medications in treatment of CFS/FMS.

Thanks to drug commercials, people will automatically suspect genital herpes when valtrex is mentioned. As EBV is in the herpes family, valtrex has a chance of being effective for those of us with CFS that have reactivated EBV status.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/06/2006]
  5. heathnicole

heathnicole New Member

No I am not taking it for herpes . .. I am taking it for my eptein barr virus.
    I don't think my do knows what he is doing.
    But I can't seem to find a good doc - down here in floirda
    I am looking to go to a EXPERT- but someone who does a lot of naturopathic medicine. Does anyone know where I can find a good name? IT doesn't even have to be in fl. I have done so much research and I get so many mixed reviews. And when it's a natural doc- you usally pay out of pocket and can get ripped of pretty easily. Any help would be great.
    Thanks again in advance
    heather
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

don't know what part of florida you live in, but you might consider the lifeworks wellness center in clearwater. i've heard good things and considering a visit myself. the doc there who specializes in cfs/fibro is dr. springer. you can find them on the web.

eddie
  7. heathnicole

heathnicole New Member

Thanks Eddie!
    I live in ORlando and I will check them out.
    please keep me posted if you end up going and I will do the same.
    Thanks again :)
    heather