Varicose veins - could there be a link and how do I limit them?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by samjenkin, Jun 26, 2003.

1. samjenkin

samjenkin New Member

Hi all

About four years ago I noticed I had started developing varicose veins on the back of my left knee. They are quite painful but manageable. To my horror, I see that I am now developing them on the outside of my left leg. They are unsightly and starting to get sore.

My questions are as follows:

(i)Is there a link between varicose veins and FM/CFS? How many of us have them?

(ii) My blood is really thick - could this be causing the problem (as varicose veins are caused by the "valve" in the vein not working properly, could thick blood be putting pressure on the "valves" and therefore causing these?)

(iii) What can I do to limit the spread of them?

(iv) I believe that people with varicose veins have an increased risk of DVT when flying - is this the case?

I'd appreciate any help you can give me on this one ...

Regards

Sam

2. suz41

suz41 New Member

Sam:

Varicose veins often run in families, are you having any leg or foot cramps? If so you may want to up your Manganese and Pottassium, this often hekps. I began developing small varicose veins about three years ago due to being in the car for extended periods of time. I have found that they have gotten better since I started walking changed my vitamins and I no longer sit crossed legged, this only slows down the circulation in the legs. I also use a foot and leg cream with aloe vera and mint extracts to massage both by feet and legs. Helps with the achiness and seem to have decreased the varicoase veins. LOL

Suz41
  3. pooped

pooped New Member

Type vericose veins in the search box at the top of this screen. Good luck.

POOPED
  4. DetMills

DetMills New Member

It's my understanding that many factors can contribute to the onset of varicose veins, including heredity, sedentary lifestyle, nutritional deficiencies, being overweight and even tight clothing.

I don't know anyone who has used these supplements for this purpose, but claims have been made that these can mitigate the circulatory problems that lead to varicose veins:

Alpha lipoic acid and grape seed extract (strengthen capillary walls)

Antioxidants, including the two above, but also including vitamins A, C, E, glutathione and selenium.

MSM, taken with vitamin C for the synergistic effect, of strengthening weins and rebuilding collagen.

Topical application of white oak bark (whatever that is).

Flaxseed oil.

Lifestyle and dietary changes may help as well.

Good luck!
  5. samjenkin

samjenkin New Member

I shall be trying some of this from tonight ...

Regards

Sam x