Vasculitis/Metabolife(and other weight loss pills) connection?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PAT, Aug 31, 2002.

1. PAT

PAT New Member

Thankfully, I get to keep my insurance coverage, and I have an appointment with a neuro Oct. 1st.
    I have been reading everything I can get my eyes on about this vasculitis. On the causes, there can be diseases,(and I have none of them that I know of) and drugs. The drugs listed were cocaine,heroin, and amphedemines, meth, and cold medicines with ephedrine. I about fell off my computer chair. In 1998 for over a year, I took Metabolife and lost over 60 lbs. I took it every day faithfully. It contains the natural form of ephedrine, ma hauong(sp?). That is the only possibiltiy I can think of as a cause for this condition. So PLEASE consider this, if any of you take Metabolife or similar kinds of weight loss products!!
  2. PAT

PAT New Member

Thankfully, I get to keep my insurance coverage, and I have an appointment with a neuro Oct. 1st.
    I have been reading everything I can get my eyes on about this vasculitis. On the causes, there can be diseases,(and I have none of them that I know of) and drugs. The drugs listed were cocaine,heroin, and amphedemines, meth, and cold medicines with ephedrine. I about fell off my computer chair. In 1998 for over a year, I took Metabolife and lost over 60 lbs. I took it every day faithfully. It contains the natural form of ephedrine, ma hauong(sp?). That is the only possibiltiy I can think of as a cause for this condition. So PLEASE consider this, if any of you take Metabolife or similar kinds of weight loss products!!
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

It seems I have read this someplace lately. Thanks for the heads up on this supplement for those who might have used it.

Shalom,Shirl
  4. PAT

PAT New Member

You know, I would love to find the cases of women who have died from taking these kinds of weight loss supplements. I know there have been a lot of news stories and programs on the subject, but I never really paid attention, because I thought "Well, they haven't hurt me." I wish I had paid more attention. I wonder if the women died from heart problems or if it caused strokes or aneurysm. I am going to spend some time looking onto this. I have an appointment with a neuro Oct 1st. Patti G
  5. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Hi!!
    I was diadnosed last year with FM/DFS after being told for years that I was suffering from Lupus. I am a nurse and I should know better, but I REALLY don't take my meds. like I should. I just HATE the adverse effects and I feel really out of control when I take them. So, having said that, I am now having some of the worst pain and fatigue of my life and I'm trying to work full-time. I read the message on the board about Metabolife and I recognized a pattern relating to my pain. I seem to hurt so much more while I'm taking it...like right now. My weight is affected so much by my depression, lack of energy/exercise and meds. Every antidepressant has caused weight gain as has Prednisone, of course. I am just about at the end of my rope. I just had some labs done that were just so abnormal that I've decided to ignore the results and just deal with the pain control, alone.
    I get no support from my husband or grown children and I am so sad and tired of the endless struggle. Thank you for all the advice to fellow-sufferers on the board. It helps to read them.