Vasovagal syncope Dysautonomia are the same???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by acuario, Apr 10, 2007.

1. acuario

acuario New Member

Hi, today I was diagnosticated with Vasovagal syncope with a tilt table test with my cardiologist.
    Does anybody have this too? can this be the cause of brain fog, lightheaded?

Does anyone know if "vasovagal syncope" is the same as "Dysautonomia"?

thank you
    acuario
  2. ArgyrosfeniX

ArgyrosfeniX New Member

"Dysautonomia is any disease or malfunction of the autonomic nervous system. This includes postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), neurocardiogenic syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, pure autonomic failure, multiple system atrophy (Shy-Drager syndrome), Autonomic Instability and a number of lesser-known disorders.

In some cases, dysautonomia results in a reduction in the ability of the heart and circulatory system to compensate for changes in posture, causing dizziness or syncope (fainting) when one, eg, stands suddenly. In other cases, the heart may race (tachycardia) for no apparent reason (known as Inappropriate sinus tachycardia), or the kidneys may fail to properly retain water (diabetes insipidus).

The effects of dysautonomia may be minor, only limiting the patient's activities slightly, or they may be totally disabling, leaving the patient bedridden."
    ==> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysautonomia

"Vasovagal syncope is the most common cause of fainting. There are a number of different syncope syndromes which all fall under the umbrella of vasovagal syncope. The common element among these conditions is the central mechanism leading to loss of consciousness. The differences among them are in the factors which trigger this mechanism.

People with vasovagal syncope typically have recurrent episodes, usually when exposed to a specific trigger. The initial episode often occurs when the person is a teenager, then recurs in clusters throughout his or her life. Prior to losing consciousness, the individual frequently experiences a prodrome of symptoms such as lightheadedness, nausea, sweating, ringing in the ears, and visual disturbances. These last for at least a few seconds before consciousness is lost, which typically happens when the person is sitting up or standing. When they pass out, they fall down; and when in this position, effective blood flow to the brain is immediately restored, allowing the person to wake up."
    ==> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal

Hope this helps!
  3. lyradot

lyradot New Member

It is a type of dysautonomia. I am 38/ had first episode at nine yrs.old. At 33 I was actually diagnosed by tilt test.
    I actually became asystolic ( my heart stopped).
    Dealing with this is a bear. I've been on a variety of meds but nothing is a true fix. I know your suffering and feel your pain. Doing anything standing or in an upright position just triggers this to no end.
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I agree that is falls under the dysautonomia umbrella. Do you have any other autonomic issues like IBS or mitral valve prolapse?

Sofi