Vegetarianism and FMS and CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jesuslover, Dec 3, 2002.

1. jesuslover

jesuslover New Member

Is anyone else a vegetarian here? Does it help or hinder FMS and CFS? I'm just becoming vegetarian. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks;

Nancy S.

2. jesuslover

jesuslover New Member

Is anyone else a vegetarian here? Does it help or hinder FMS and CFS? I'm just becoming vegetarian. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks;

Nancy S.

3. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I've been one for 18 years now. I've had CFS for 5 years and I don't notice that being vegetarian has cured or actually relieved any of my symptoms. Although, it certainly wouldn't hurt you if you ate a vegetarian diet! It would help you in other ways, can make you healthier and help prevent other diseases. I wish I could say that eating meat caused my CFS and that's that, but I can't.

However, going on a sugar-free, yeast-free, wheat-free, dairy-free vegetarian diet HAS helped my symptoms. But for me, it's very hard to stay on. I guess the relief it gave wasn't worth the effort, but I know I did feel better on that diet. Maybe it's time to try it again....

Good Luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2002]
  4. sybil

sybil New Member

i only started being ill after christmas last year and was diagnosed with FMS in july this year.
    so it has nothing to do with being vegi.

if you are only just embarking on a vegi diet,make sure you research into the vitamin and mineral content of the foods you will be eating.it is quite common for vegetarians to be deficient in B12,which is usually found in meat and dairy products.obviously your diet will be meat free and possibly dairy free,so you need to get B12 from other sources.
    cereals contain it and some vegetables.

avoid processed food,ready meals etc.they are high in fat and the nutritional content will not be as high as fresh fruit and veg.if you can afford and find organic fruit,veg,cereals and pulses,then even better.

i would never eat meat again,especially after the BSE problems we have in the u.k....the problem here is potentially so severe,health officials want the whole population of the u.k. tested,to see if we are carrying CJD,as it can be dormant for years.

sybilxxx
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2002]
  5. jesuslover

jesuslover New Member

I've been doing a lot of reading on diets. I'm doing the vegi stuff because I am sick and tired of what they put into the cows, pigs, chickens, (Although I did eat a little piece of chicken one evening, a little goes a very long way), etc to get them to grow, to be fattened, etc.
    I am also doing reading on the health aspect of this, too.

Thanks, everyone, for all your support and replies.

Nancy S.
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm not a strict vegetarian; I eat eggs & chicken for protein from the health food store, but nothing else in the "meat" family. I don't know if it helps or hurts FM, but I'm trying to drink much more water, and eat many more fruit & veggie servings. I've lost some weight, too, this way, which I needed to do.

I can't imagine it would hinder FM...most folks here seem to like the higher protein/lower carb diet for FM, so just be sure to get the protein.

Let us know if you think being a vegetarian makes a difference after you've followed it for a while...

Good luck, Pam
  7. sb439

sb439 New Member

I've been a vegetarian for 15 years, with CFIDS for seven years, and I'd doubt if there is a connection - except if the vegetarian diet is very unbalanced.
    Susanne
  8. sybil

sybil New Member

that doesn't sound sensible to me!
    cjd kills you slowly and painfully.i do not trust farmers in the u.k.or anywhere else for that matter,to produce meat that is free from antibiotics,steroids,growth hormones and feeding their livestock with animal by products that are unfit for consumption.it has happened in the u.k. and it is still happening.a farmer was in the u.k. newspapers only this week for feeding his animals on dead sheep carcasses,the very thing that started CJD in the first place!
    don't be complacent because you live in the U.S.....it could happen there too and you won't see any victims until 20 years later,like they are showing up here,years after they ate contaminated meat products.

i have been a fit and healthy vegetarian,far healthier than most meat eaters,for about 19 years of my life.being vegi has not caused my FMS and there is no proof that says it does.
    vegetarians usually have lower chloresterol levels that meat eaters,unless they are eating too many dairy products,cakes and cookies.
    i don't eat a very high carb diet,there are plenty of other things you can eat as a vegetarian that are much better for you than lots of carbs,

sybilxxx
    [This Message was Edited on 12/05/2002]
  9. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

vegetarian for 24 years! I could never, ever eat a dead cow, calf, pig lamb, turkey or fish!

When I was 4 and asked what hamburger, etc. was, I told my parents when I was old enough and they couldn't tell me what to do anymore, I'd stop eating meat. I stopped one day at age 16 after reading an article in the school library about animal slaughter, etc. Never went back, and my best friend worked at McDonalds!
  10. sybil

sybil New Member

i have never set foot in McDonalds.i don't consider the rubbish they sell there as 'food'!

anyone can have an unhealthy diet,if they eat meat,or if they are vegi.it's all about balance and knowing enough about nutrition to ensure you are getting enough protein,vitamins,minerals etc.

a vegetarian needs to eat a much wider range of foods,pulses,wholegrains,nuts,fruit and veg.i don't eat processed food off supermarket shelves.i make all my own food,vegi curries,chillis,soups,nut cutlets,stir frys...you need very little oil in a non-stick wok.i aalways try to buy organic fruit and veg,that hasn't been sprayed with anything.

it has other benefits too.everyone i meet comments on how good my skin is.at 48 i have hardly any wrinkles and i never get spots,probably because i don't eat much fat and i eat lots of fresh fruit and veg and drink mineral water.i never touch fizzy sweetened drinks.

sybilxxx
  11. GeneticDefect

GeneticDefect New Member

Since 1981...I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian. The only animal products I eat is eggs and dairy. However I only eat an egg (fetus) about 1-2 times a year.

It's a life long committment for me. My weakness is too much pasta.

I've been a veggie for so long I cannot answer your question.
  12. myra

myra New Member

This is interesting to me b/c I contracted CFS from a bout of mono about 8 yrs ago. While recovering, I adopted a vegetarian diet (that i still practice) and have been wondering if my CFS is linked to vegetarianism. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

myra
  13. patchwork

patchwork New Member

But just to please my homeopath I ate meat again for about 6 months - no change!! I'm convinced that vegetarianism is better for you and I certainly know people with R.A that it's helped. C.F.S I don't know. I think as long as you're sensible and aware of nutrition ,then you should try it...
  14. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i was a vegan or vegie for approx 30 years.

it did not helpme to recover at all.

but its importent to have organic meat.....eat little not a.
    lot.

i think veggie is fine for the healthy but we need the extra nutrition.

pinkquartz
  15. fullarmor

fullarmor New Member

Hi. i've been vegan for 10 years now. I feel much better after giving up everything including dairy. I have to say that I do have to be very careful not to get into the junk food like soda and chips, but as long as i'm eating right and eating a good amount of protein (usually from soy) i feel pretty good. Can't say it's helped my FM, as I got FM after I became vegan. But I sure don't believe it did anything to cause it, as once I became vegan I felt a whole lot better than I ever did. Good luck on your new diet!!!