Vein Sclerosis from IV

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Andrew111, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

I am so upset about this I didn't even want to post about it. But I just had one of my worse fears realized. I was getting IV treatment and the vein got sclerosis. I have been searching google, and there is zero information regarding the implications for patients. All I find is information about how to prevent it, and articles about surgery for spider veins, etc. What I want to know is, how does this effect my life, my arm, future IV, future blood draw, etc.

Has anyone gone through this? Do you know about it?

2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

is that the same as when they blow a vein, or when they let the iv run dry? cause if that is what it is, i have had that.
    It's painful for sure, and also i had a huge knot where they messed up my vein and also bruising.

It took a few months for the knot & bruie to go away, but after that i was ok.
  3. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

In my case there is pain and the and the vein feels harder. No bruise or lump. The doctor said the vein can no longer be used, which I took to mean that it could not be used for blood draw or IV. I asked if there was treatment for this, and he said "no." I left with the impression that this is a permanent hardening.

I spoke on the phone with a friend who is an ex-nurse. She said I can't get in IV below the spot, because the stuff would flow over the sclerosed area. And I should not use the other arm to make sure I always have a good vein in case of emergency. But she is not a doctor, and I don't know how much she knows about this.

Did anyone say to you that it was okay to go on using that vein?

4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

well, i had the same thing although its been years ago it was my left arm and i have had blood drawn & iv's in both arms since.

but like i said it did take a while for it to heal, from what i understand when they blow a vein it kinda just reroutes( if i remember correctly)But yes it is very painful & has a hard knot where the vein is damaged.they told me i would heal in time & it did
  5. Ed Y

Ed Y New Member

If it is just 1 vein, no worries. You have a lot more they can tap.

On the other hand... if (like me) this was either developed by illicit drug use (IV) or they poked you everywhere, then it could be a real issue. It often takes a picc line for them to be able to draw from me (let alone when they need to give me something IV! THAT is a real nightmare but the picc usually does the trick). The real pain is that EVERY phlebotomist and doctor thinks that they are the *1* person who has the skills to find a vein on me. After a usual 15-30 minute search and many bruises and band-aids later, they say, "you were right!"

Yeah, I brought it on myself... but now that I have been clean for many years it really sucks.

I saw this thread was 2 years old but the issue is still valid.