Vent---Do get-rich-quick-schemers take advantage of you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SweetT, Aug 11, 2006.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Okay, so we have Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and some of us cannot work outside of the home. Others work but that's about all we can do. Some of us know that our time is limited when it comes to working full-time.

My problem is with the MLM (Mult-Level Market) and pyramid people, who feed you lines like, "with your illness, you need to create your own business where you can quit your job.......you can make money from home, by setting appointments from home, and you only have to be in the office for a few hours per week." What they don't tell you is that you have to bug people and hustle them in to hear the presentation, and hope they can join your pyramid!

What person with a DD who uses borrowed energy to work and tend to their family, has time to recruit people, run back and forth to a center and/or people's homes, to separate them from $200 and then make them a miserable part of your pyramid?

Group, for those who may recognize and be involved in the particular one I'm referring to (notice how I didn't mention any names), perhaps I am especially cranky because it's been a rough week for me, and I'm weak and having pain spasms. If it works for you, great. Perhaps you are retired or get disability as your main source of income. My vent is with people who don't have pain and fatigue issues, trying to use coercion and trickery to get me to join their MLM/pyramid get-rich-quick-scheme.

I have no problem with people being affiliates or selling health and beauty products or housewares, and getting commissions/a cut of my total sale, because in this day and age, people need to have more of a choice in the way that they care for and groom themselves and their homes. But if I have to bug people, book endless appointments (either at the office or the people's homes), just to sell knives or insurance or overly-priced health and beauty products, I want no part of it.

How have you told these people to get lost, in a firm, yet tactful way, even if they are friends? Or, have you made a lucrative income from these MLM/pyramid schemes?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2006]
  2. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

I lost a dear friend in this very way, who's husband RELENTLESSLY persued getting me in his vitamin/health sales pyramid.

I explained SEVERAL times that I did not have the means, time, nor effort to do this. Everytime I visited with his wife he made a sales pitch for me to purchase products (which I broke down a did once) and to sell under him.

Sadly....he is hard of hearing....

his wife apologizes for him bugging me....but I can't bring myself to go to their house again. I tried just meeting her somewhere for lunch...but he SHOWED UP!!!

I had to give up finally...we used to e-mail lot but sadly, even that has basically ended. He is still persuing people driving the same car....I guess he hasn't "gotten rich yet"....HUMMM!!!!

Hugs, Jenni
  3. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

do you know how many of those MLM companys i have seen my foster dad get involved with over the last 10 years and all of them were supposed to make him rich.and trust me he put long long days in.

he still isnt making it rich
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Oh Yes, my friends have been involved in several. Just as we heave a sigh of relief that they are done with one, they take up with another. Always MLM's that make incredible claimns, have dodgy founders to say the least. We hardly ever see them and if they come over their phone is going and their whole personality changes to sugary sweet. They even try to grab our friends. People doing this get realy brainwashed, and no they don't get rich, but the guys at the top do. They are supposed to be illegal but they aren't and alwaso I hate the way they suck in people who are sick or poor as they are "good targets".

Love Anne Cromwell
  5. SweetT

SweetT New Member

The people at the bottom are brainwashed. And yes, I hate how they prey on the sick and poor. My buddy with M.S., who's going through a long, drawn-out divorce, has unwed teenage daughters, barely makes it to work(because the hospital and clinic is her second home) thus is in constant danger of getting evicted, was suckered out of $200, that she has to go to classes and meetings & try to recruit people to try to get her $200 investment back. The thing is, myother buddy/coworker that I met in middle school got her into this, and by her having M.S., she is currently worse off than me physically, and I feel like he was wrong to pitch it to her, because while he didn't have her join up at gunpoint, he caught her at a vulnerable time---------------all of her financial problems and facing eviction------------she probably felt as if she had nothing to lose. I just told her that with all of my personal/family problems, I have no idea when I'll have $200 or that much time to spare. If I spend $200, it had better go on groceries or a gas bill or schoolclothes for my kids. She said she understood and agreed that it takes alot of time starting out, plus gave me no offending sales pitch, like the coworker I've known since middle school, telling me how I mean nothing on to Management on my job (as if I didn't know that) and he was just trying to help me figure out a way to make nice money if I no longer have that job, etc. I hate when people feed me a crock of bull!! I prefer straightforwardness. Plus, my former classmate/coworker has no wife&kids, and doesn't have pain and fatigue issues. He doesn't know the struggle.

Yes, it's a shame how these MLM/pyramid schemes breakup friendships :)
  6. ckball

ckball New Member

I belong to a message board called Freinds In Business. It is a nice group of self employed people who love to bust spammers and scammer.

Lesley Fountain runs a tight board, She has a lot of great info about working from home, what to look for and what to run from.

In 1999 I got scammed and lost $5000. It wasn;t a MLM, it was a business selliing advertsing on post card, business cards, little league cards for the kids. I did get some orders and they were fine.

A few weeks later I had another order and the phone had been disconnected. I bought the vouchers upfront, then I would sell the voucher to a customer to put their own picture on it.

So I got stuck with $5000 in supplies. Tried to get it back from my credit card but because I payed it off with another card with a lower rate. Lesson well learned. I went to a seminar at a hotel to learn about home business. They were doing pretty good with it.

Freinds In Business has all kind of people that can help you computer issues, marketing, ideas and tell you who the bad guys are. It is worth the visit if you are serious about working from home. Carla