Vent: Not enough space on SSI forms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrohugslife, Apr 26, 2006.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Okay I have been filling out my SSI forms and well they ask you a lot of questions and of course I am going to go over the space they give, and in the remarks section. So far what I have been thinking of doing is photocopy some of the blank remarks page and then instead of write, type on the back of the form? I hope that will be okay because there is just not enough room to write about all that I go through. I even shortened it but there was still not enough room.

I have a hard time physically writing out everything and I don't think they will be able to read it. I think I may have my mom fill it out for me, because my handwritten is absolutely dreadful to read. Then add the typewritten pages at the end.

I was able to get an extension from the SSI offices in getting my applications in, as it has been takes me forever to put it together.

I also found more hospital records that I have and need to send that the SSI people handling my case at the county.

What do think?
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Theguy at SS said a lot of people do that
  3. pezhoarder

pezhoarder New Member

hi! i have not started filing for anything yet but i have been looking into it and i think i read somewhere in the disability section that you should always hadwrite your forms. if you have to stop in the middle of writing and then start agin later and you accidentally use a different pen, that's fine. let them know you had to stop because it was too much to handle. if you mess up don't start over, just keep going. these things can sometimes prove your points that you've been writing about anyway, ya know. this is what i've been reading, but please look into it further before taking my suggestions. i hope things go well for you. let us know.
    hugs, sarah (pezhoarder)
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

Hi 'o unraveled one! Its a big job, but somebody's got to do it, right?

Yes, make a separate page numbered to correlate with the number on the forms you are filling out...its ok.

I would either 1) let Mom write for you, or 2)let someone else type for you....remember, you are disabled and can't really do those things very well in a consistent manner, ok?

I wouldn't type on backs of anything....SS is famous for not being able to turn the page over, LOL!

Just do your best, don't try to overdo it...be real factual, use short sentences, and lots of new paragraphs. No one at SS is going to read it...a doctor might, and the hearing judge certainly will.

List things like:

Cognitive problems:
    a. unable to understand what someone says to me.
    b. can't follow sequential instructions.
    c. feel in a daze often
    d. need rest before doing mental tasks.
    e. In staff (employee) meetings, can't follow the cross-talk.

Physical problems:
    a. when stand from sitting at computer, get light-headed and feel faint
    b. bending and reaching to file things causes pain
    c. Need to lie down suddenly or feel severe nausea, light-headedness, and very sick, as if instant flu.

Got it? No meandering paragraphs needed or wanted, ok? No justifications, just the facts.

Let me know if you need more info, ok? I'll watch for you and look into this thread often....am here for you...

findmind
  5. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

LOL Oh my gosh then I will need another month or two to fill it out. I just cannot do it myself to handwrite it all, that is the absolutely most painful thing that I can do.

On the form itself says you can type or write on the form. So maybe it is different for everyone else.

What I will be doing is physically writing as much as I can and then for the remarks just end up typing up the additional as it is just too long for me to sit and write. If worse comes to worse then I will have my mom my handwrite everything for me.
  6. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Please post more anything more that you have. I remember looking at your past posts last night but I don't remember anything more if I found anything. Hard to be looking when I am medicated and tired out.

Thanks,
    Nicole
  7. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I had started out with the online application and then I had to complete the Work Adult History Report online, and my Medical History report and I did not get to that online, and then I received an informed letter talking about paperwork from my county requesting that information, they includes that part for me to fill out and my birth certificate. I was able to get that information into them. I found more health information from doctors and hospitals that I have been at to submit. So I need to submit that into the county offices.

My mother believes my symptoms of Fibro and CFS started when I was about 15 years old and was hospitalized with chest/muscle pains. Then I had no other symptoms until about 7 years ago.

So my case may be a little interesting for the work history part. I kind of wish my mom told me more about that beforehand but I had already submitted my work history part and did all of the online stuff that I could do.

I don't know if SSI will look at all of my medical records that I forgot to submit, but I still want to submit the information that I have.

Yikes a nightmarish experience.

Nicole
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

SS said it was OK.linda
  9. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. I ALWAYS keep records of everything that I do. I don't trust the government with ANYTHING LOL. They are so prone to losing things or claiming they did not receive it, and then after you go through hell sending them again, and viola they happen to find them LOL. They have some of the most unorganized departments, so I always have back up copies of everything that I do. I think they need to call up Oprah's friend who does all the reorganization and remodeling stuff to help them stay organized LOL.

Anyway my mom will be writing everything out for me. She can write well and it is readable.
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

did you see my post to you? Do a search on your name, ok? It's not on this thread....more infor for you, as you requested.

How ya doing? Remember, anything you forget can be added to your file.

Did anyone tell you that its best to get a disability lawyer rather than an advocate, because only lawyers can go to and Appeals Process if that has to be done...its rare, but something to think about.

Both advocates and lawyers get the same amount of money if you win: I'd like to have a lawyer to go to an appeals process in case I didn't win!

Let me know how you're doing....

Hugs,
    findmind
  11. findmind

findmind New Member

so fibrohugslife sees it..

Thanks
    findmind
  12. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Oh I saw it, my mind has been all over the place. I have my mom filling out her part, she lost the copy that I made for her, and I had to photocopy it all over again, she owes me a new ink printer cartridge LOL. I am glad that I held onto the original myself. I can't trust anyone with anything.

I tried to rewrite the best I could of what I go through daily and it's long, kind of like a long story but for me to write it all out of what I have been through the last 6-7 years would be a couple hundreds of pages easily.

Anyway my mom is just pushing for me to get it done this weekend and well for me I will do it when I can. It's not easy to rehash your entire life like that on paper and then LOL rewrite it again in the best handwriting that I have. I will get it done but under my own terms, I am the one that is ill here. I understand the urgency but my body doesn't get it, it just likes zapping me with electric currents all over my body all of the time. I am going to post about that in a minute.

Anyway thank you so much for your post. I was thinking I had another question, and I can't remember what it was. I will let you know when I remember again.

Thanks!