Venting About My Physical Exam

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rockismom, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I really need to vent about my Medical Exam seeming to be a JOKE.

I have applied for SSD, they asked me to go to their drs. for a medical exam.
    Fine. I complied.
    Dr. X didn't even look for ANY of my tender points. (I have had THREE rhumeys examine me throughout the years so I THOUGHT I was familiar with the exam.)

Dr.X asked me to...
    Take off my shoes & socks, roll up my pantlegs. He didn't look at my feet or ankles. (I wrote on my questionnaire that I had no problems dressing myself)

I was then told to sit on exam table, lift my arms and legs, then to lay back. He pushed on midsection asking if it was "painful"...(BTW, I also have IBS & GERD, along w/ several other dx's)

He asked me to walk on my tip toes and heels - which I could not do.

Dr. X seemed rude and very cold and had no "bedside manner" whatsoever.
    (I thought doctors were supposed to have a LITTLE BIT of compassion?)

Was he just "going through motions" so he could get me out of there or what? Part of me thinks he had to "just do something" and he's going to "pass me through" because he has obviously read all of my paperwork. The other side of me is wondering if he didn't like me as much as I didn't like him and is planning on kicking me to the curb!?

Does anyone know if there is a "routine" SSD medical exam that these physicians should be following - for FMS?

Thanks for letting me spout off.

Your comments are certainly welcome!

God Bless,

[This Message was Edited on 11/18/2009]
  2. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I am sorry you were denied. Did you apply only on having CFS?

How long was your process from file to exam? Seems a though they are pushing these through more quickly now than in the past.

I don't get it. Just because you can dress yourself, lift your arms and legs one time during the course of an exam doesn't mean you can put in a day of HONEST work! There is so much more to FMS & CFS!

Did you appeal the decision? I sure hope so.

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Maybe you should have brought the doctor home with you and let him see how a person can make it out one day and then crash for a couple of days. If it is only a couple of days then you are lucky!!

I would assume that it is documented somewhere what your daily routine is, how the FM/CFS effects your everyday life. I think that is what they are looking for.

I am on private disability so was able to use my own doctors.

What a pain.

Let us know how things work out.

Good luck.

4. dvdav2000

dvdav2000 New Member

An Attorney... once you have an attorney they can weed through the " sluffers " , and foes... they willl know all, and you will have client att'y privilege... most work on conting. and get paid if you get paid... If permitted to list here.... because she is on many of the CFIDS advisory boards/ advocacy as pro bono advisor... Barbara Comerford, Hackensck, NJ...