Venting where have all the nice people gone???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by caffey, Jun 12, 2008.

1. caffey

caffey New Member

I am just venting. I am frustrated at human behaviour. I don't get how people can treat others the way they do. Some of you know that my son was in a hit and run accident late last winter on the busiest highway in Canada. He fractured his arm and elbow. No one stopped to help and he had to call the police and ambulance himself. Then this morning while hobbling accross in the cross walk when this car came flying through and just about hit me. Where's the fire? Then the icing on the cake is a friend of mine has arthritis really bad and has heamophilia amongst other dds.left me a message while I was out. He was in a big box store and he fell. This is a serious thing for him. Again he lay there in the middle of this huge store and everyone walked by and finally 2 staff came. I am just shaking my head. What ever happened to kindness and watching out for the other guy? Ok I think I have it out of my system. Thanks for letting me vent.
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

To just walk by someone who had fallen in a store is beyond my comprehension. Do people think he's just taking a break? Sheesh!

I know there are good, caring people around, but there are many who are also so self-absorbed or fearful that they just don't care about others.

Very sad.

Glad you are OK...What happened to the friend who lay in the aisle? Hope it didn't bring on a bleeding incident.

Good place to vent.

3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I wish I could say those are isolated incidents that you mentioned, but I fear they're not. I honestly can't imagine ever seeing such terrible accidents and not getting involved.

I saw on television the other day how an elderly gentleman was recently hit by a car in broad daylight on a busy shopping street in Connecticut and surveillance tapes of the street showed that not one person came to this gentleman's aid although they were all staring at him lying in the road; he was bleeding profusely but conscious and unable to move. The newscaster stated that there may be charges brought against the bystanders and the proposal of a depraved indifference/ good samaritan law like they passed in France after Princess Diana. I believe the newscaster said the law currently exists in eight or nine states, making it a misdemeanor crime if it's proven that a bystander did nothing when they may have been able to do so. While that is all fine and good, I think it's a damn shame that local government needs to step in to legislate courteous obligatory social behavior. I pray to God that this law will have to exist for extreme isolated incidents only and that we can, for the most part as a civilized society, rely on each other for just a smidge of humanity.

[This Message was Edited on 06/12/2008]
  4. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I agree that this is a huge problem today. I think some are just ignorant, others can't be bothered, and some fear legal reprisals if something should go wrong later.

We have become a society that is so Politically correct that fear now drives us, instead of common sense, common decency and kindness.

Makes me sick.....
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

It is beyond my comprehesion that some people are so callus. I recently witnessed it first hand. It devasted me that people could be so uncaring and cold.

Yet I do know there are still good people because I found compassion from members of this board. I would like to think there is still hope.

So sorry about your son. That had to be so hard to deal with. I hope he is having a full recovery from the accident.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2008]
  6. poets

poets Member

I've asked myself this question so many times through the years.

Whether it is animals (they are God's creatures) or humans, (who I consider my brothers and sisters) I've always felt that they are living things that have feelings and emotions like me. Animals feel pain and fear just like we do.

My heart just breaks when I get online and read the news or turn on the TV and hear how no one seems to care about anyone but themselves anymore. May God help us all when we have to give account of ourselves someday.

We need to learn to reach out in love. We may be the one in need sometime in the future.

Love and Peace to all of you,
  7. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

It's a Cruel World, and not the Peaceful one we would Love to live in.

Makes you wonder what people are thinking, that Hitting someone just because you don't like them, is ok.

8. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I really understand. I get very cynical about people sometimes too and don't understand why they are so rude and lack basic manners and decency. Why is our society so broken down? Wish I had something to say that would help. I don't know why people drive like suicidal maniacs.

Every time I drive somewhere, someone tailgates even when I am driving over the speed limit because they just don't care. I even tried starting an anti-road rage campaign in my city a few years ago. It had a really clever name, and I had a lot of neat ideas. The police I spoke to in charge of marketing thought it was great too. It was almost a "go" and then the whole thing just died due to lack of funding. Talk about frustrating.

I was on yesterday and for some reason this video came up and I decided to watch it. It also has a website called . Check it out if you wish. I don't think everyone will change (wishful thinking certainly), but it gives me hope that there are still some people out there that want to spread some love and light.

Warm hugs,

BILLCAMO New Member

that people are less willing to help and are less kind.

Possibly #1 is that the "ME" generation has come of age.

But , fear ranks right up there too !

Fear of :

Being sued

becoming involved

doing the wrong thing

being scammed

getting stabbed in the back

being mugged

being injured themselves

getting in trouble

people getting the wrong idea of why you're helping

and a host of other reasons.

I'm more hesitant to help now than I used to be. But , I still do.

I've been sued (unsuccessfully) , gotten in trouble for risking my life to save another's , cussed out , had bodily harm threats leveled at me , been relieved of some of my personal property (which I recovered) , been accused of untrue things , and some other not nice things.

Just a week or two ago I was at a church-based food bank. I was in the waiting room with about 50 other people when a little 3 or 4 yr. old girl wandered in from the distibution area. She was lost and looking for her Mommy.

She starting wandering around lightly crying and quietly saying Mommy , Mommy where are you. I watched her with great concern hoping that one of the women in the room would get up to assist her. None did. When she started heading for the door that would take her outside of the church still quietly asking for her Mommy , I got up and quietly talked with her to calm her down.

When she felt comforted and calmed down , I offered her my hand and asked if she would like me to help her find her Mommy. She took my hand and said yes. As we headed towards the distribution room some people smiled at us and a few others looked at me like I was some kind of pervert. I just smiled and continued towards the room.

When I entered the room , I tried to get the attention of one of the church volunteers. I finally did and I asked her if she could help this lost little girl find her Mommy. She said that she would and then curtly told me to go back to the wating room since it wasn't my turn yet. Since that is what I planned to do , I quietly turned around and went back into that room.

A couple of people smiled at me when I reentered the room. I heard from the distribution room when the little girl was reunited with her Mommy.

What bothers me the most about this incident is that I was in a room of with 50 people that were looking for help....myself included. And I was the only one willing to help a little 3 or 4 yr old lost child.

After I had received my free gift of food , I purposely walked by the volunteer that I had brought the little girl to , said thank you and may God bless you to her! She managed to squeeze out a God bless you back to me.

On my walk way back to my car I did thank God for my opportunity to help a little girl and for the food that He had made possible for myself to receive.

Blessings ,

[This Message was Edited on 06/13/2008]
  10. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I'm so very sorry about your son. It's indeed becoming a cold world where the love of many has grown cold.

But not everyone yet, some of us still are willing to care and help.

11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Here I am, Here I am!!!

12. caffey

caffey New Member

For your responses. There are some really nice people but they are becoming more self absorbed and don't want to take the time to get invovled. All I can do is my part to be a nice person and what goes around comes around.

FiveSue: My friend who fell had to take factor for 3 days and ended up taking as much as he does all year. He said 2 staff finally came and put him in a wheelchair and they left. It is 3 weeks and he is starting to walk again now. Thanks for your concern.
  13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member how many people will not intervene when they see someone in distress especially a child. I will and have report mothers or dads who are knocking their kids around in a store etc as if they do that in public guess what life is like for that child out of sight?

I do think there are a lot of kind souls in the world. Many bad drivers. This rush rush rush world drives me nuts.

In the British channel their are islands I used to live ononce, and one of them forbids any motorised vehicles at all. How nice.

I am sorry for your son and your friend and yourself for these mad dash rude people. Hollywood must take some credit for "normalising" bad and dreadful behaviors as portrayed in movies, what ever happened to "Mr Smith goes to Washington movies?"

Love Annie

Love Annie

BILLCAMO New Member

in this world !

I've found a lot of them right here on this site !

Blessings ,

b/c :>)
  15. PVLady

PVLady New Member

You may like the website ""

This is a wonder site about how gossip and hurtful word can actually kill people. It is supported by many celebrities.

You don't have to pay to read the stories, there is a tab you can access the pdf version of the stories.
  16. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

About this talk

Daniel Goleman, author of Emotional Intelligence, asks why we aren't more compassionate more of the time.

17. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

I think this all shows just how far our country has fallen. I don't think our country is a God fearing nation anymore either. The laws being passed show for that. Many laws whip the finger at God.

You take God out of everything and you get a heartless uncaring people who only think about themselves.
  18. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

You are so right esp. POTTERSCLAY and B/C.

Yes, taking God out of everything, especially here IN THE U.S. is not a good thing and we are reading allot about selfish uncaring people. I know it does seem tht way for sure sometimes. Certainly , very little of it is show on TV hee, just all the uncaring, means and horrific things are show, not the other way around - at least MOST of the time.

It is a shame that little of the really good deeds are ever shown on TV, why now - cause I guess that is what sells papers. I have no idea why but it seems to be true

I have also seen lots of caring , and wonderful people and many of them are RIGHT HERE on our PH Boards, right BILL (B/C).

Hugs and blessings to you all,

19. LindaH

LindaH New Member

You know I know you are one of the good guys. I must say thank you for helping that small child since no one else was caring enough to.

20. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I'm nice.....

Sue in Ontario