VentingHad a bad visit with a plastic surgeon

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lovethesun, May 20, 2006.

1. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

My doctor thinks that I need a breast reduction to help my back.I do too. She wrote a letter and set me up with a plastic surgeon.He was so insulting.I can't remember the order of things but I'll try.

I was having a real bad day Friday.I could hardly move,He asked me to sit on the exam table.I couldn't.My husband said it looked like it irritated him that I wouldn't do it.

We went over things.I told him about the pain in my back.That I can't stand up straight because it bends me forward.The doctor had written a 2 page letter asking for a reduction for me

He told me that big busted women thought that they're breasts were heavy when in reality they only weighed 2 lbs.!

I weighed mine once(got a scale up high on something and then weighed them with my body not adding weight to it)they were 5lbs apiece.

He also concluded that breast surgery wouldn't help my pain.He said that if I did the surgery,my doctor would prescribe the meds,He didn't even know what Kadian is.The doctor then tried to scare me away buy telling me I'd have a big scar and a lot of pain said that I didn't mind.I commented to him that at least he believed in fibromyalgia,he replied"I didn't say that".

He said that I'd have to lose 40lbs before he even considered it and that the weight lose would probably reduce the breast size(NOT!!-just the number part would change.I've done that before).

I told him that I couldn't exercise because of the fibro.He suggested bariatric surgery.I told him no thanks.I felt insulted.I'm overweight but I carry it well.I am not obese.

AS we were leaving, my husband thought that DR took a dislike to us in the beginning.I said that he probably thought that I was acting when I kept dropping my cane and couldn't hold my arms up.I also couldn't stand well..

I'm going to ask the doctor for a second opinion Monday.She wont like this either.Thanks for listening.Linda
  2. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Lovethesun,

Iam so sorry that idiot surgeon treated you so badly. There is just no excuse for that.
    Yes, I believe most large breasts do weigh more than 2 lbs.
    The heavy pulling on neck muscles, the indentations from the bra just makes having large breast a drag! If I don't wear a bra instead of Double D's I have Double Knees!
    Your husband should have punched him in the nose!
    Take Care,
    Cindy

3. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Why don't you offer him some five pound weights to wear around his neck and shoulders for a few hours and see if he doesn't want some relief??

So sorry you were treated that way. I would keep looking for a more compassionate caring surgeon who will take your needs seriously.

God bless.
    Julie
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Sorry you had to waste your time and effort with the wrong doctor.
    Whatever his problem is, this is not the doctor for you.
    Just ask your doctor for not one, but two more referrals.
    This is so important and you deserve to feel you have 110% confidence in whoever does this surgery.
    No sense getting upset over this doctor, he is not worth it.
    Maybe someday, in some way, he will have someone treat him with such a lack of compassion and he may recall how he treated you and feel regretful.
    In the meantime,move on and try to forget you ever saw his face.
    Your doctor should know how he treated you and stop referring to him.
    As far as his medical recommendations, yes those were his opinions,but I agree it sounds like he had some real attitude with you.
    I am sorry, but don't take it personally.
    Good luck with your surgery!
  5. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I'm sorry you had to deal with this person. I have a friend that went throught this procedure and for the same reason. To my knowledge, she had no problems with the surgeon. Also, the surgeon must have agreed with her because he did the surgery. I have experienced Drs that have had a smart attitude like, they knew what was going on with MY body. What a HOOT!

Like others stated, get another opinion and don't let that one get to you. I'm sure other's that have been to him have the same opinion that you do.

Take Care and Keep Looking,

BlueSky555
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

he is the boob doctor to go to...

he has a website...dr. leonard gray out of san francisco....

he did a faboulous job on mine...i had implants... and i can say that the implants had no impact of increasing my fibro at all...i had this pain before the implants...

sometimes i think about taking mine out only because i get tired of not find those nice little bras and panites set anymore..i was 34c before came out a 36d afer surgery i liked that size...but then they put me on prozac and boobs grew and gained weight...

as far as you losing weight before the breast reduction...i do not what to say...there may have been other reasons such as going under anthesia that he didn't want to put your life at risk....

my sister had her first reduction when she was 16...they were fine until she gained weight had a baby...then she got them redoned....and she is over weight and they just don't look good with her shape....

it looks liek frankstien got a hold of them..i would never tell her this...but she had a really bad dr....

and she has a round middle...it just doesn't look right...and she is not really happy with the job herself...

check out my dr.. he has before and after photos...i think they have a hotel set up in san francisco as well...

good luck

jodie
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

that you had a bad visit with plastic surgeon. I had a breast reduction about a year and a half ago. They took out 5 lbs. total from both combined. I was a triple D. My doctor was really nice and treated me well, but he did not believe in fibro. either.

I mentioned it to him and he said that fibro. is a "wastebasket term" If looks could have killed, he would have fell dead right there. It did help a lot with the pain in my back and neck.

My insurance did not cover the operation. I even had medical proof that I needed it. I hope you will be able to get it done. It takes a load off. LOL Clothes fit and look better since I've had the surgery.

Some doctors ego's are bigger than they can handle. Good Luck. If you have any ques. about the surgery or anything, just ask, and I will try to help you.

Kriket
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Best for you to find someone decent who will treat you like a human being and have some compassion for what you are going through.

I wonder if you would do well to find a female plastic surgeon? Do tell the doc who recommended this jerk to you what he said and how he treated you.

I've been to several jerk docs before. I think it happens to all of us.

Good luck, hon!

Love,
    Faye
  9. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

I've talked with you before and shared that I had a reduction done in 2001. My doctor was nothing like that. I was (still am) overweight but not what is considered obese.

He did tell me that most women notice their belly for the first time after the surgery and then they diet and their boobs can get smaller. Just a warning that it could happen but in no way refused the surgery. They have measurment guidelines to go by and from the way you talk you should be eligble for the surgery and insurance should pay for it.
    I would try a consultation with a couple other doctors. This doctor was not meant for you and theres no way you want someone like that to operate on you. My first visit went very well and everything was explained very clearly to me. I even told him I was scared and really didn't want all the details but he refused to do it until I knew everything he was going to do.
    I am going back to see him next month for the first time since 2001. I have scar tissue or something thats causing me some pain and I have gained weight since I was there. I have noticed that my breast have grown some and I am hoping he will want to do another operation. And yes I would do it again without a second thought. I just love not having those heavy things hanging on me.
    He did take 2 pounds off each one which left me with about 2 pounds still on each one. Some doctors will let you pick the size you want to be but he said that he decides what matches my body best so that I will look the best.
    Please see GOOD doctor and you will be very glad you did. Keep me posted on how this goes.
    Cindy
  10. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

As far as a risk factor,I think that the fact that I take morphine scared him.My doctor is female and like I said before,I'm sure she will give me another referral.

You don't know how much better I feel hearing from everybody.You have so much on your head with this disease(syndrome)that you begin to doubt yourself.Linda
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I bet that jerk is willing to make busts bigger though!

What a jerk. It is well known that too heavy breasts are painful on the shoulders, neck and back.

Also, is he not aware that breast tissue is just that?

My friend had a masectomy one breast, and tshe had to wear a weight of over a pound and a half in the bra to balance her so she did not get back pain. She had very normal sized breasts, not large at all, so they is something wrong with this guys calculations.

Try another doctor and do not give up.

Love Anne C
  12. wuki1

wuki1 New Member

Don't go back to that jerk - Not worth it!

I have BR done 4 years ago and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I didn't have hardly any pain after the surgery although I do have extensive scars underneath my breasts. I knew that may happen before I had the surgery and I didn't care. I just wanted to be free of that weight pulling me down. I am not a big person so having DDD was pretty out of proportion for me and I was tired of it.

Find a doctor that treats you with the dignity and respect that you deserve. If my doctor had not treated me with respect I would not have been comfortable going in there and baring myself to him.
  13. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Lnda,
    What a horrible thing to hapen to you! Please, let me tell you about what happened to me.

I used to have really big breasts. I have arthritis spurrs on my shoulders, a deteriorating neck and a bad back. I was also overweight. I though that a person needed to be at a "desired" weight before breast surgery would work. Well, I was wrong.

Roseanne really helped me here. She had her breast surery while overweight, and she did fine. She gave me courage and so I had it done. I thank God for that, every day of my life.

My surgery was 45 minutes and I had no pain. The Dr. took 3 pints of tissue from me. I splurged, and treated myself to a chauferred town car for the ride home, after an overnight stay at the hospital. (The Dr., who was recommended by a friend, was two hours away from my home).

I had scars on my breasts for about 8 years. I still have chelated scars arund my chest and on each side of my body. They will probably stay. I'm not surprised, because I have olive colored skin. How a person scars depends on their skin. But I don't care about them, because I'm so happy.

One good thing to do is look at the surgeon's "before and after" book. If he does not have one, be careful. He should be willing to show you pictures of his patients. (The pictures are taken without the faces).You can check for scarring on them. You can also tell him the type of breast you want. I got the "perky" kind. Oh, yes, my insurance paid for the surgery, since it was obvious that it was for my health.

I am so happy I did it. I don't have to wear a bra at home any more. My shoulder and back pain are really improved. My clothes fit better, and people don't make comments any more.

I don't think that the Dr. you saw wanted to do the surgery, because his arguments don't hold water.

Good luck. I hope you find the right Dr. for you.
    Hugs,'
    Terry

14. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I had a breast reduction done last summer and even though it didn't take away all my shoulder and neck pain - I would do it again tomorrow!

Breasts are either made up of fatty tissue or dense breast tissue. If you lose weight and don't decrease the size of your breasts, they are breast tissue and only a reduction will get rid of them.

There is a really good site that has a doctor referral section. Google breast health online and you should find it.

Don't let the doctor scare you about the pain, I only needed to be on pain medicine continuously for the first few days. Also, less than a year later my scars are completely white and I had the anchor method, which is the one that leaves much bigger scars. There is another method called LeJour that only leaves a lollipop scar - no under the breast scar.

I also read about a lot of people who were able to lose weight more easily after the reduction - when they didn't have sandbags attached to their chests!

Good luck and be glad you got away from that horrible doctor!
  15. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

I went to one a few months ago and she was great! She said yes, I neded the reduction, but I also need to lose weight first.
    Well, so far, not weight loss...not an ounce.
    I know darn well mine are more than 2lbs a piece.

I would have said to that Doctor, well let's make your ehems sweel to 2 pounds and see how well you can walk with them that big!
  16. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

That's funny.I can just picture the waddle.Linda