Venus Williams Has Sjogren's Syndrome

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

She withdrew from the US Open due to fatigue and pain. Until I got this, I didn't realize that SS causes extreme fatigue and pain, in addition to dry eyes, dry hair, dry mouth, dry skin, and dry everything. SS is an autoimmune illness and it isn't uncommon for those of us with CFIDS/ME or FMS to pick up autoimmune conditions along the way.

I feel bad for her and pray she can get back to tennis soon. I also hope the publicity helps shed some light on immune and autoimmune illnesses for those of us who suffer away from the limelight. We really need high-profile celebs to speak out.

Love, Mikie
  2. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

I hadn't been keeping up w/ tennis much lately, hadn't heard this but always loved her game...hope she can get back as well. Last year all the opens were free on the web but not this year so I can't watch it...I really miss cable sometimes!

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

It's on the computer news today. Withdrew due to Sjorgren's. The reporter makes
    light of it. Says "Not normally considered career threatening".

I looked up Sjorgren's a year or so ago, but can't retain anything anymore.
    The only that stuck in my mind was the dry eyes part. I know several posters
    here have it. Sounds awful. Well, like most of our DDs.

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

SS can hit a person hard or not so harshly. It can come and go and it can start out slowly and get worse. It can also go into remission. Most people do just think of the dry eyes and dry mouth. They don't realize how painful and exhausting it can be. I didn't until I got it. Right now, I'm a bit better as both the SS and interstitial cystitis have backed off a bit. I'm still exhausted though. I'm able to do a little running around but my condo needs cleaning and I have to do it, even if I only do one or two small tasks a day.

I'm glad more celebs are speaking out. I remember when Cher got sick with CFIDS/ME; she tried to keep it hush-hush as it would have been catastrophic for her career back then.

Love, Mikie