Verse for cat lovers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Sep 10, 2008.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

A Kitten

He's nothing much but fur
    And two round eyes of blue,
    He has a giant purr
    And a midget mew.
    A Kitten

He darts and pats the air,
    He starts and cocks his ear,
    When there is nothing there
    For him to see and hear.

He runs around in rings,
    But why we cannot tell;
    With sideways leaps he springs
    At things invisible -

Then half-way through a leap
    His startled eyeballs close,
    And he drops off to sleep With one paw on his nose.

Eleanor Farjeon

Farjeon (w/ a name that no one knows how to pronounce) came from an English literary family. She wrote children's books and plays. Is most famous for writing the lyrics to Morning Has Broken back in the 1920s or 30s (depending on which source you read).

She died in 1965, in her 80s.

(Contrary to popular belief, Cat Stevens did not write the lyrics or the music for Morning Has Broken.)

2. victoria

victoria New Member

I remember a girl in my dorm who rescued a kitten. The little thing couldn't just walk across the floor, ever;

instead, it stalked under the bed, desk, or around the perimeter of everything it couldn't get under, and would pounce on your feet or whatever else attracted it!

I'm hoping eventually she found a good home for it on a farm, likely would've been an excellent rat catcher!

I remember you talking about Farjeon before... Cat Stevens sure sang it wonderfully well... still have it, and still enjoy it! Amazing how some things just become classics!

Thanks Rock!

[This Message was Edited on 09/10/2008]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Was on youtube earlier. Many vids of Morning has Broken.
    I got annoyed w/ people posting things like, "This is me playing my guitar version of the wonderful song Cat Stevens wrote."

It's the perfectionist lurking inside of me, I guess. Just have trouble accepting that it's an imperfect world.

Kinda like Barry Manilows's big hit: I Write the Songs. Barry didn't write it: Bruce Johnson of the Beach Boys did.

And Stephen Foster did not write "Carry Me Back to Old Virginny".

Anyhoo, Morning Has Broken has been one of my favorites for about 20 years. First heard it on a record by Mary O'Hara, the Irish singer.

And now I must e mail my brother in Oregon. He took a trip to Minnesota (the Old Country). Sent me a postcard shaped like Minnesota. Surely the Post Office has regulations against such devil-may-care usage of postal facilities and services.

4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

what a lovely little poem - captures our little cat friends perfectly.

I found out a few years back that Cat Stevens didn't write Morning Has Broken but didn't know who did - its often sung in churches over here - I suppose he DID write the music???????