Vertigo Attack with Loss of Urine/Bowel Control

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Jul 29, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have occasional vertigo attacks and with them comes loss of bladder and bowel control at the beginning of the attack.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this.

2. cct

cct Member

I have had something similar when I would have a big dysautonomia malfunction.

Also, sometimes, when I have had a particularily difficult IBS attack, I might pass out. In that case the bowel problems would happen first and then the passing out problems would happen second.
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Except with me, it's not vertigo, it's the sudden drop in blood pressure. When I get an attack of the low blood pressure and I'm nearly blacking out, alot of the time, I'll get a stomach attack and must be in the bathroom. And the bladder and bowels are weak.
  4. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

That is often what happens after seizures. I never have had that with a vertigo attack. I would seek medical advice on that. Bobby
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Vertigo can be caused by many things including calcium particles in your inner ear. You can read about "benign positional vertigo" on the web.

If by chance you have that, there is a pretty simple cure. They have a series of movements you can do with your doctor to dislodge the calcium particles and the vertigo disappears.

My husband had dizziness for over a year so severe he was nauseated. We went to a doctor at UCLA, Dr. Robert Balough. He performed the maneuvers and my husband never had dizziness again.
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each for your input. I have been to my PC, ENT, and they say sinus infection. I seem to keep a sinus infection according to their Dx.

I did mention the loss of control to the ENT and he made no comment.

Everytime I have a vertigo attack this loss of control happens and trying to get to the bathroom with a bad vertigo attack is almost impossible. If my husband had not been home I would have never made it. My attacks usually last around 5 hrs then the funny head feeling, off balance never seems to leave.

I will be seeing an immunuologist next week. I do hope for some answers instead of its just CFS.

God Bless,
  7. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

Greatgran--I have frequent bouts of vertigo, spinning, imbalance--you name it. When it gets severe or I have a seizure and fall to the ground (or fall to the ground and have a seizure, I'm never sure as to the sequence), I always lose bladder control and bite myself. I haven't lost bowel control yet but I guess it could happen. Boy, we can't be too proud, can we?

Bobby, can I ask about your seizures? What kind are they? Mine are called audiogenic meaning that they are caused by sudden and unexpected loud noise.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I know how disconcerting it can be.

8. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

It was my sister that has the seizures and I used to know a girl that had Grandmal seizures. It is common with certain types of seizures to loose control of your bladder. Sorry you have them they can be very dangerous. Bobby. I have vertigo attacks and I have never lost control of my bladder or bowels under these situation however, everyone is different. It still makes me wonder though if one then one thing is going on there.