Very angry! What a stupid world we live in!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RedB, May 16, 2003.

1. RedB

RedB New Member

I am so upset! This new "privacy" thing that the whole world has had to sign for (at least I don't think it is just Michigan) is going to become a pain in our butts!

I just called to make a doctor's appointment for my Grandson for his 15th month appointment. My daughter works full-time, and I have the care of him 4 or more days a week, so I am the one who often has to take him to the doctor. I have called several times to make appointments for him.

I was told by the girl I talked to "May I ask why Mom is not making the appointment? With our new rules, it should be the parents who we give this information to."

#1, I wasn't asking for information. #2, if this is the way things are going now, how in the world will we take care of our children and grandchildren??? Will my daughter and her husband now have to give written permission everywhere in order to allow me, my husband, her mother-in-law, father-in-law, greatgrandparents, etc, etc, to do the things that are necessary to help take care of our grandson?? What in the heck will happen in case of emergencies???

This is stupid and scary.

Kathy
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'm sorry you're upset. But did you answer the woman's question as to why YOU made the appt? Did she make it for you? I think you're jumping the gun. You need to calmly talk to her and explain that you're his grandmother and caretaker during the day. Maybe your daughter needs to sign a form permitting you to do make the appt. It doesn't pay to get so upset, especially since we FMer's go into a flare from stress. Hope this helps you!

Annette2 :)
  3. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Kathy,
    I know what you mean. My pharmicist and his assistants are not allowed to call me by my name anymore because of some moron who passed another bill about privecy (sp). I have been shopping at this pharmacy for over twenty years and know all the staff on a first name basis, and also some of their families, etc. We have gone so overboard with laws we are all choking on them. There I have had my say and really sympathize with you.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  4. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

We filled out that form for my mom yesterday when I took her to the surgeon's office. There was a place on the form to check who she gave permission to for making appts., getting info about her visits, talking to the doc about results, etc. Maybe your daughter could add your name to the list on the privacy form and you won't have this problem in the future.

Hugs
    Annette
  5. RedB

RedB New Member

Nothing on the paper to give permission to anyone else. However, it is already in the baby's records that several of us have permission to receive any necessary information.

And yes I did explain why I was making the appointment, and no, she didn't make it for me. I'm sorry to say that I said "fine" and hung up on her. Not nice of me, I know, and I don't EVER get mad at the in-between person, because I was that person for 20 years of my life. But, somehow, being told that you are not supposed to be making an appointment (at the DOCTOR's, for heaven's sake) for your grandchild, pretty much blows you away.

I will calm myself down, and have my daughter make the call from work, which is not easy for her at this time, as she is sick herself, and hasn't had time to get herself to the doctor. But, if this is the kind of thing that is happening because of this law, what will be the response if we are out of the area with my grandson, and we have to get to a doctor or pharmacist?

Kathy
  6. allhart

allhart New Member

i understand your anger but as someone who mil had there son put on ritalin with out a parents consent im happy that they took the time to ask you , i understand you may not be the kind that would never do anything like this but there are many that will, do you know how hard it was to get the child off ritalin , we then had to prove he didnt have ahdd, she also almost had braces put on his teeth even though 2 orthos told us not to i had to threaten to sue ,they actually tried to charge us for the unarothrized vists, my children have a legal paper signed by me for them to get care in my absensce from there grand parents,have your daughter get one for you,
    i know its a pain but there is a reason for it,
    hugs
    kara
  7. mamafurr

mamafurr New Member

just went to doc weds. and had to read and sign for receipt of the act of privacy notice. i swear i understand your frustration. more and more pc garbage. someone sued for some ridiculous reason and here we are. also my pharmacy did the same thing. they used to have you sign a running sheet w/rx#, and pts. name, now they have you sign individual slips of receipt so others cannot read you rx#!!!the med description wasn't even on there. like i'd know by looking at a # what the person before me picked up...
    things bother me more now as my nerves are fried due to the pain. so what to do? take care.
  8. baby-bear

baby-bear New Member

The reason for this law is because of some stupid *ssholes got a hold of peoples medical records and used them inappropriately!!! One was a mortgage banker that somehow got a hold of medical records from a cancer center and called all their mortgage companies and told them they had cancer. He got a hold of these because he was some head honcho serving on a medical board somewhere. Also a lady bought a computer from a closed up pharmacy and the pharmacy did not erase all the records in the computer. These records held peoples pharmacy information about their prescriptions so this turned into public knowledge. This new law is a pain int he butt... but because of the way people got confidential info. like I just described that is why it came to be. It's called The HIPPA Privacy Act. Pammy
  9. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act

Their goal at present is to insure the privacy of patients through electronic data transfer and exchange of confidential medical information. These new rules imposed a mandatory and final compliance deadline of April 14 along with hefty financial penalties to enforce the regulations. No one screws with HIPAA!

The HIPAA provisions, by statute, apply only to the following persons:

A health plan
    A health care clearinghouse
    A health care provider
    All entities who transmit any health information in electronic form in connection with a transaction.

Unfortunately this includes an abundance of permissions that every patient or guardian must sign, which also must include specifically only those names of family, friends or others that can have access to the patient's information or whom can act on behalf of the patient.

This also means that if you have a friend or family member in the hospital, the staff cannot tell you how they are doing, where they are being treated or what room they are in, unless the patient or guardian has left prior permission to do so with the front desk or nursing staff.

Lane

[This Message was Edited on 05/16/2003]
  10. AC77

AC77 New Member

Sorry. there are new Federal HIPPA laws. All you need to do is get a simple note stating that the mom or dad gives you permission fully to make medical decisions in thier abscense
    (it can be hand written)

Have it also state that a photocopy is as valid as the original have them inital after that.

and have them sign the bottom and preferably one witness sign too
  11. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

My sister in law owns a medical billing company and must comply with this HIPPA. If not, fines in the thousands of dollars can and are being paid, she nor many other people can afford to do that so the guidelines must be followed.